Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 01-15-2012, 05:44 PM

molotov is on a distinguished road
Default Plumbing// Lots of pictures to describe my plumbing

So I've plumbed my tank without cementing any of the fittings together. I was hoping to get some opinions or feedback to make sure I've done everything right before I cement everything. Below are some pictures with some of my comments.

I'm wondering how I can lower the tops of these caps so they're not sticking up way above the tank?

The picture below shows how far they're sticking up.

The picture below shows where the waterline should be approx. I'm wondering how deep I can submerge the siphon pipe?

The picture below shows my reservoir. The larger half will hold RO/DI water and the chamber to the right will hold saltwater mix

I've plumbed it in such a way so after I've pumped out 10% water volume for water changes I simply need to open the valve to allow the water from the reservoir above to drain back into the sump.

The plumbing with the grey 90 degree elbow will be used for ATO however how do I get my pvc plumbing to merge with a 1/4" waterline?

Again, this is the plumbing coming from my RO reservoir for ATO. The bottom plumbing will be for emergency overflow in case the sump overflows. It will run to a floor drain.

Comments/suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by molotov; 01-15-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:08 PM

reefme is on a distinguished road

for my 2 little pennies I would use some flex tubings for safety not 100% PVC pipes.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:10 PM

Default Plumbing// lots of pictures to describe

I plan on using spa-flex through the wall to my sump. I will be using for both my return and my overflow plumbing.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:45 AM

Unitt is on a distinguished road

What makes flex pipe safer?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.302021,-114.009096
Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 AM

WindowMaker is on a distinguished road

Good question, I'd like to know the answer to that one too.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:13 PM

reefme is on a distinguished road

If your tanks moves or other end moves you still safe right with flex pipe.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:36 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by molotov View Post
So I've plumbed my tank without cementing any of the fittings together. I was hoping to get some opinions or feedback to make sure I've done everything right before I cement everything. Below are some pictures with some of my comments.

I'm wondering how I can lower the tops of these caps so they're not sticking up way above the tank?

you can get caps that will fit into your " t " on top of your durso, they are slip fit and then just drill a very tiny hole into the top.thats what ive always done for durso's looks good though man and cheers
Old 01-16-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
you can get caps that will fit into your " t " on top of your durso, they are slip fit and then just drill a very tiny hole into the top.thats what ive always done for durso's looks good though man and cheers
I have the slip caps but I've decided to use threaded in case I ever need to service the standpipe. All I would have to do is unthread the cap and I'd be able to get inside the pipe. If it were sealed with a slip cap I'd have to cut the pipe or build a new one.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:59 PM

parkinsn is on a distinguished road

Can you shorten the pipe between the "T" and the Threaded adapter?

Why not get a threaded reducer for the top of the "T" and then your theaded cap? The cap is only for adjusting your air to the pipe. Looks like 1-1/4" pipe? Get a 1-1/4" to 1" threaded reducer change your cap size down to 1"?

Or just leave it all not glued. Get a slip cap. With 3 down pipes you will likely sell the tank before you have to service them. There is really no need to have it glued, if it leaks it will just leak back into the overflow and not your floor. Obviously glue below the BH.

What kind of servicing do you think your going to need to do? If something gets caught in the pipe, it will likely be at the valve which I assume will be partly closed. You have true union valves so you will be able to disconnest there anyway.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:00 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Why do you have shut offs on all your outlets? I would have 2 with no valve and 1 slightly lower (with no Durso and low enough to not cause a vortex) in the over flow with a valve to adjust the level. The 2 higher outlets are only in case the one with the valve clogs. Use all slip inside the overflow and seal with a couple of wraps of Teflon tape only.