Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-15-2012, 01:58 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Field Supply View Post
Check to see if ammonia, a byproduct of chloramine treatment, is getting through your DI.

Russ
No ammonia in the RODI water.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:39 PM

Buckeye Field Supply is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
No ammonia in the RODI water.
Great. It's that ammonia that depletes the DI resin quickly on RODI systems fed water w/ chloramines.

Russ
Old 01-15-2012, 02:46 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

what I am thinking as I keep checking this is why the big panic? there nothing new, all the tanks in Victoria have been running 10 years now on chloramine water and most never did anything special to remove it that others are not already doing.

my tank there ran 7 years, Brad has been running way longer, and countless others that had tanks before I did or around the same time. no problems that were atributed to chloramines.

if you want to make sure your good, buy a 30 buck ro housing and run two carbon block filters, better yet buy another one also and run two sedimate filters before the carbon blocks. run a 5 micron absolute then run a 1 micron absolute, into two carbon blocks then as normal. if you do this you might spend 60 to 100 bucks. there are more efficient sediment filters out there.. you can buy a bigger housing like I did (more expensive) and upgrade to a 10X4" filter that is a 25micron to 1 micron absolute. I changed this one ever 6 months in Victoria as we had a very high algae count in our water.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.

Last edited by StirCrazy; 01-15-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:07 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Oh I heard you the first time you said nothing new. No kidding...chloramines have been used for years. However, it IS new to me (having to deal with it that is), and there are many people out there that aren't even aware of it.

Adding ammonia to your tank could very well be a problem! If the carbon in your RODI system doesn't have sufficient contact time to break the bond between ammonia and chlorine the remaining chloramines (particularly monochloramine found primarily at high tap water pH) will go right through the RODI system. Your RODI system also needs enough contact time to not only break the bond, but also to remove the resulting chlorine because chlorine (unlike chloramines) will damage the RO membrane.

Another thing to think of is that our test kits aren't exactly lab quality, so taking a couple extra measures (like adding a cartridge of catalytic carbon to the RODI system) might not be such a bad idea. I don't really trust these little dip strips to be overly accurate, but I do think they can help.

This discussion is just about awareness Steve, as more and more communities are switching from chlorine to chloramines. I don't see why you would frown on such discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
what I am thinking as I keep checking this is why the big panic? there nothing new, all the tanks in Victoria have been running 10 years now on chloramine water and most never did anything special to remove it that others are not already doing.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 01-15-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:59 PM

lee9 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to lee9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleus View Post
So does this mean i have to put bubble stone in my after RO/DI water before using it? I am in NW so i guess I am using Bearspawn
Sorry, I missed this. I don't think it's necessary as the carbon filter removes the chlorine and it will offgas naturally. An airstone may increase the dissolved oxygen content in the water but if you agitate your water with a powerhead when mixing salt it wouldn't be necessary.

Even if you don't use a powerhead and mix manually you shouldn't have any issues. I stirred my salt manually for 6 months or so and didn't see any ill effects from it.

I'm no expert though
Old 01-16-2012, 01:40 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
This discussion is just about awareness Steve, as more and more communities are switching from chlorine to chloramines. I don't see why you would frown on such discussion.
not frowning at all, rather I think its (dont know the right word,) funny in a interesting way I guess. over the last 12 years seeing certian topics come up over and over is starting to look like trends.

I am waiting for DSB debates to start again now

but seriously most RO systems come with a carbon block filter and that removes them. you want to be sure I posted about adding an aditional carbon block, you want to make your carbon block last longer add a better prefilter, no worries.

there were no special filters for this 10 years ago and any company claiming special filters must be used is just trying to sell stuff.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.