Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-08-2012, 02:41 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

It has been proven that ick can survive up to 70 days so why go to all the trouble to do this treatment only to put them back in the tank and recontaminate them if it is not gone? 8 week might be a little extreme but I would wait at least 6 weeks if the fish can live in quarantine without being too stressed and if they eat well.

If anyone is not going to quarantine their fish, at least they should always do a one hour dip in Seachem Paraguard. This one hour dip would probably get most of the parasites off. This is really important with clownfish as Paraguard will kill brooklynella so the dip might catch all the parasites before they even enter the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Rob View Post
That pretty much sums it up, but I think a fallow period of 5 weeks should be long enough. You'd have to be pretty unlucky to get a strain of Cryptocaryon that has a Tomont stage of longer than even 3 weeks at 26C.

Remember, once you go down the QT path, EVERYTHING that goes in your tank has to be QTed. That includes the frags you get from your buddy's, macro algae, etc. I only used to QT corals for 2 weeks, but even that was stressful... for me and the corals.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:53 AM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Most Ick cycles seem to be between 4 to 10 days from what I've seen in my tanks. It's about managing risk, as I say, you would be unlucky indeed to get a strain that has a 70 day cycle. You need to keep reef keeping fun Quarantining everything that goes into your tank including corals for 8 weeks would be a PTA, as well as a strain in the animals.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:15 AM

I don't see how doing a quarantine on fish can be any more strain to the animals than being taken out of the ocean and put in a small box. An aquarium is an aquarium no matter what and if the water quality in the quarantine tank is top notch and the quarantine is set up right than there is no stress at all. I currently have 3 fish in my 21 gallons, one cleaner wrasse and 2 black ice clownfish. There is liverock in there and hiding places and everybody is doing great.

They are receiving a Paraguard treatment to eliminate the possibility of ick and brook and everybody is eating like little pigs 3 to 5 times per day. They have been there for 10 days now and will be there another 3 weeks in treatment, then in the display.

I did quarantine on sensitive fish like the copperband butterfly for a month in that 21 gallons and the fish was not in very good health when I got it. Now it's doing great one year later. If I can do it, anyone can, it's just a matter of setting this properly and the fish are not stressed at all. Why would they be more stressed in the quarantine tank alone and in peace rather then being dumped in the DT with other possible territorial fish chasing them around and making their life a nightmare? Quarantine is a time for a fish to recover, get fat and healthy, alone and in peace, not being harrassed by any other fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Rob View Post
Most Ick cycles seem to be between 4 to 10 days from what I've seen in my tanks. It's about managing risk, as I say, you would be unlucky indeed to get a strain that has a 70 day cycle. You need to keep reef keeping fun Quarantining everything that goes into your tank including corals for 8 weeks would be a PTA, as well as a strain in the animals.

Last edited by daniella3d; 01-08-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:12 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumfingwong View Post
As of yesterday, I turned off my skimmer, and treating the tank with Herbtana

I dipped the krill and brine with Seachem garlic guard, every other fish except the puffers ate. Right now, it looks like its affecting the puffers the most.
Dipping is not going to do it. You need to soak dry food in garlic extract or Garlic Extreme (I do not know about garlic guard). You need to feed very often and only garlic soaked foods.
The idea is to get as much garlic in the fish as possible.
Don't know about Herbtana. What are the listed ingredients?
Old 01-08-2012, 05:18 AM

Sumfingwong is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
Dipping is not going to do it. You need to soak dry food in garlic extract or Garlic Extreme (I do not know about garlic guard). You need to feed very often and only garlic soaked foods.
The idea is to get as much garlic in the fish as possible.
Don't know about Herbtana. What are the listed ingredients?
Sorry, I worded it wrong.. I soaked the food into Seachem Garlic Guard.

I do have some good news. The dogface who looked the worst yesterday looks a lot better, he ate some krill today. The only one not eating is the porcupine puffer. I am hoping he will come around tomorrow, he is active though, he keeps to the back left corner of the tank surfing the glass.

As for herbtana's ingredients, I will have to check later and get back to you.

I do have a question. the fox face looks like he has this white see through slimy thing hanging off of the dorsal fin. It also looks like it has a white dot on the slimy substance. After that, I saw some of this slimy see through stuff in the water column, so I took a net and scooped it out. What is this stuff? a by product of ich?
Old 01-09-2012, 01:55 PM

Gripenfelter is on a distinguished road

If you have Selcon I would soak the food in that too.

314 gallon Drop Off Reef tank. 150 gallon sump. Bean Animal Overflow. Various Tangs, Angels, Triggers, Inverts, Corals, etc.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80379
Old 01-09-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripenfelter View Post
If you have Selcon I would soak the food in that too.
I will be grabbing that today, I didnt leave the house over the weekend.

But im happy to report everybody is eating now. There are still some signs of ich on the porcupine, but he started eating last night (garlic soaked krill) Everybody else looks good. I am hoping to finish this 10 day treatment asap, because I really want to turn on the skimmer lol

I also did a 10 gallon water change last night.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:32 PM

double post. pls delete
Old 01-12-2012, 06:38 AM

Look at it with a microscope. could be marine velvet or brooklynella. This is looking less and less like ich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumfingwong View Post
I do have a question. the fox face looks like he has this white see through slimy thing hanging off of the dorsal fin. It also looks like it has a white dot on the slimy substance. After that, I saw some of this slimy see through stuff in the water column, so I took a net and scooped it out. What is this stuff? a by product of ich?