Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > New to the Hobby

Old 02-19-2004, 06:20 PM

Marcus K is on a distinguished road
Default Lighting

I have set up a 250W M/H but I am having problems getting it set up right. I have a 90 gal tank that I was running two 110watt PC light fixtures. I had to take one out to make the M/H fixture fit. My problem is that my tank has the plastic center brace and I do not want to melt it with the new light so I placed it of two one side and now my tank is very bright on one side and dime on the other. Can I run the M/H in the center without burning the brace? Any ideas, I only want to run one halide.

Thanks

Marcus
Old 02-19-2004, 07:10 PM

apepper is on a distinguished road

I removed my plastic center brace and replaced it with a glass brace for this same reason. It seems to be working very well for my 45 gallon tank.

Here is the link to the thread

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7783

and a picture of the finished product

Old 02-21-2004, 04:37 PM

reefhawk is on a distinguished road
Default me too

i was wondering if there was a way to install the glass brace while it is full. if i lightly clamped the tank in two places it should provide enough support till the silicone sets up don't you think? Also i have a centre overflow chamber at the back so would two braces be ok about 1/3 of the way along? Thanks for posting an interesting subject.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:52 PM

kuatto is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to kuatto

I have a 250mh over my 54 with the centre brace(plastic)and have no problems.the light is 9in above the brace.I wouldn't fool around while the tank was full(maybe try half full).The glass centre brace would definitly be better if you could install.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:10 PM

TNTCanada is on a distinguished road

I took my brace right out had it out for years. I did put it back in just to have a place to put stuff while I'm working on the tank.
72g Bowfront Drilled,Lighting,2x250 10,000k MH,2 actinic T5,2/6" fans,2MJ with 1600gph convertions kits,Bullet 2 style skimmer with Mak 4,29g sump/Refugium,96W power compacts in sump, Velocity T4 Titanium "return",Life Guard 300 Fluidize bed filter,1"sand bed, 29g auto top off, 140lb LR,SPS,LPS,Softies,Zoos,2Percula Clowns, 2yellow tail Damsels,1yellow tang,2cleaner shrimp, 1six line Wrass,2 Bengaii Cardinal,1lawnmower Blenny,1sand sifting star,1TigerTailCucumber, snails,hermit crabs,Macros.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:08 PM

Thanks for all the info, my other worry is that my tank is not drilled and the M/H would be very close to the U tube. I would hate for this to melt, I did have a fan and some tin foil covering the overflow with out much heat under the hood while the fan was on. Just don't like the look of the equipment, looks very cluttered. Still trying to make it work and look good in the tank and above the tank.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:51 PM

apepper is on a distinguished road

I think it would be difficult to do this while the tank is full because you will need room to maneuver the glass brace into place, plus the added risk if something goes wrong. If you leave the plastic brace in place while you install the glass brace(s) you probably don't have to worry too much about the added water pressure of a full full tank. I would think if you lowered the water level enough to have room to work you should be ok.

Two braces should be fine but you will be reducing your available access space for working in the tank, adding live rock, etc.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:54 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Hey there AMrcus i see the problem you have i'm going to cut out the center brace on my 75 gal to add 2 braces in there .are ya thinking of selling the other 250 w MH .let me know ok ..

Mike
Old 02-22-2004, 03:17 AM

I am thinking or selling it as a package, 15" reflector, ballast and box from local hydroponics shop, mogul, and 250W sun aquatics 10,000k bulb. I think I have close to $375 into it. I am thinking of adding more PC's instead. I would like to buy a large reflector and just add 6-8 PC's. I really like the ease of use and cool temp of the PC's. The only problem is that my two PC 110W fixtures would have to be sold. I really love the M/H light, just can't fit it into my hood well enough.

I have listed the M/H setup for $300 on the Regina Forum.

Marcus

The Ballast is a M59 if I remember correctly, it seems to fire up right away. I have only run it for 30mins so far and have put my PC's back in for now. Still not sure what to do.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:42 AM

Dabbler is on a distinguished road

Here is what my 120 looks like with 10 PC's in it(52"L x 22"D x 24"H). It still gets warm as my tank is at 83 F and my heater is never on. I am going to put some vents in it to see if that helps.