Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 01-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Tomini or Two-spot tang could also replace the Kole (same family of bristletooth tangs).

As for your wish list:

Yellow or canary wrasse (NOT lunare) is doable, but mine grew to about 5-6"
Dwarf Flame Angelfish - potentially non-reef-safe (any dwarf angel is a hit-or-miss) - perhaps look at Cherub angel (dwarf dwarf) which I've never had any problems with
nemo clownfish lol
starry blenny- algae eating? - some algae control
blue hippo tang - NOPE - too big and fast
flame hawkfish - Yes
cuban hogfish - Needs a 6' fowlr
pink square anthias - never found these to be hardy
purpleback pseudochromis - SKIP - would probably fight with orchid
ora fidmani-orchid pseudochromis - Usually great reef fish (probably stay just with one pseudochromis)
blue reef chromis - most LFS stock the green (not blue) chromis
banggai cardinal - great little reef fish
Old 01-03-2012, 06:58 PM

parkinsn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
Tomini or Two-spot tang could also replace the Kole (same family of bristletooth tangs).

As for your wish list:

Yellow or canary wrasse (NOT lunare) is doable, but mine grew to about 5-6"
Dwarf Flame Angelfish - potentially non-reef-safe (any dwarf angel is a hit-or-miss) - perhaps look at Cherub angel (dwarf dwarf) which I've never had any problems with
nemo clownfish lol
starry blenny- algae eating? - some algae control
blue hippo tang - NOPE - too big and fast
flame hawkfish - Yes
cuban hogfish - Needs a 6' fowlr
pink square anthias - never found these to be hardy
purpleback pseudochromis - SKIP - would probably fight with orchid
ora fidmani-orchid pseudochromis - Usually great reef fish (probably stay just with one pseudochromis)
blue reef chromis - most LFS stock the green (not blue) chromis
banggai cardinal - great little reef fish
I would agree with the above.

Is this going to be a FOWLR? Or a reef?

ORA fish and coral, last i heard, can not be brought into Canada. However you can still get orchid's up here.

Also lunare wrasse, not only to big, but also not reef safe, IF you plan on having shrimp. As with most wrasse, keeping shrimp MAY be an issue. The bigger the wrasse the bigger the chance of it eating your inverts.

Another thought. If you want to do a pseudochromis stick to one. But there are some nice dottybacks as well that can be mixed with pseudochromis
Old 01-04-2012, 12:02 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Hawkfish will also eat any shrimp you may want to keep.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:27 AM

Kimmi7 is on a distinguished road

This will be a reef tank so need reef safe fish.
So feel free to tell me about any fish you have that would work in 90 reef tank
Old 01-04-2012, 03:47 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
Hawkfish will also eat any shrimp you may want to keep.
shrimp first.....then wrasses and hawkfish.....been successful in two different tanks doing this.....any shrimp added after the fish are just a meal

If you do a psuedochromis or dottyback add them towards the end....they can be semi-aggressive and territorial

ORA fish are perfectly legal in Canada and a few vendors here bring them in from time to time
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 01-04-2012, 03:59 AM

Kimmi7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
shrimp first.....then wrasses and hawkfish.....been successful in two different tanks doing this.....any shrimp added after the fish are just a meal

If you do a psuedochromis or dottyback add them towards the end....they can be semi-aggressive and territorial

ORA fish are perfectly legal in Canada and a few vendors here bring them in from time to time
Why would you add shrimp last? I have fw angels and actually have added shrimp for the purpose of food. Any fish that can fit it in it's mouth will try if dropped in front of.

For the two fish, I have read that adding them last is the best idea. That way they don't try to hurt anyone that is near their "home"
Old 01-04-2012, 04:14 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmi7 View Post
Why would you add shrimp last? I have fw angels and actually have added shrimp for the purpose of food. Any fish that can fit it in it's mouth will try if dropped in front of.
I didnt say that.....most people that do a reef tank have some kind of commensal shrimp in the tank.....like, skunk/scarlet cleaner shrimp or fire/blood shrimp or peppermint shrimp (*Forest Gump "Bubba" scenes going through my head*)....these shrimp have a couple functions....they make decent scavengers and will perform cleaning duties for your fish..... If you think you may want any of these shrimp its best to add them sometime after the first couple monthes of your tanks life and before you add any fish that may potentially be a threat to ornamental shrimp....
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694