Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-01-2012, 08:07 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

If you want to learn more about overflows and such, I did a write-up on another site ... this is it

I recently sold my Freshwater gear and started a long research project about overflows as I am going Saltwater. I learned a lot over the last couple of months, so I hope you read my entire post and it's included links

First, you shouldn't try to completely replace your in-tank flow with just a return pump. You may end up with low-flow areas or dead-spots you don't want or didn't plan on.
You could get very involved with a manifold return, with many outputs pointing every which way, but you are also then relying on just one pump for the health of your charges.

The 'U' style overflows work, but rely on a 'lifter' pump to restart when the return pump is powered back on. Relying on the pump to restart when, say, you aren't home, could starve your fishies and beneficial bacteria of oxygen.
You also have to consider the risk of your overflow becoming slowed or blocked and your return pump draining your sump while it is subsequently overflowing your DT

There are DIY PVC pipe setups
My DIY PVC OVERFLOW TUBE

And there are DIY overflow boxes
DIY Overflow Box

Now, about drilling and so on...

Be very careful where you drill your tank as many, or even most, tanks have tempered bottoms and you will destroy it as it can't be drilled. Drilling the back is a great option. I have included for you some links so you can explore your options. I suggest you take your time and absorb all 3 options I linked as they all have their benefits and drawbacks, such as;
noise, placement, tank-to-wall clearance, flooding, and cost.

This first link is cheap and quick
Complete Overflow Kits - Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff

This second link is to what's known as the 'herbie method', and I have provided for you the designer's original post. You can find compressed explanations if you search the web for Herbie Overflow
This method is nearest to fail-safe
NEW plumbing method for an ULTRA QUIET REEF TANK!!!! LONG !!!! - Reef Central Online Community

And the fail-safe, no flooding ever method...barring your overflow box doesn't leak
BeanAnimal's Bar and Grill - Silent and Fail-Safe Overflow System

Once you thoroughly read through these, and others you find on the web you should have a better idea what you really want to do.

Take your time planning this as it's a big decision.
Good luck,
Greg

Last edited by gregzz4; 01-01-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

http://96.31.76.198/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Perhaps some useful info here also.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:57 PM

marlincoral is on a distinguished road

When we first started we didnt have RO water the mother-in-law worked at a carwash and they used RO for the spot free rinse and we used to fill up jugs and bring them home
Old 01-01-2012, 05:57 PM

e46er is on a distinguished road

start with RODI water and save headaches
make sure your sump has enough room for your skimmer footprint and a little bit extra for a safety net
a 20 G tank will not have enough room for a skimmer section/fuge section/ return section
you will want to make the return section as large as possible as this is where you will see the evaporation occur not as important if you use an auto top off

external pumps are more reliable in my experince but more $$
get a big enough return pump to run reactors for carbon, GFO, Pellets so much easier than individual powerheads running them

and for flow it really depends on what types of corals you want to keep and your rock placement and powerhead placement
i have around 8000 gph in my 120G tank

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC
Old 01-01-2012, 07:07 PM

Kimmi7 is on a distinguished road

ok so I have actually am looking at building in internal overflow if able. Only thing is I haven't been able to find good informaton on how to go about that.

Has anyone on here done that?

Also does anyone on here use the uv water treatment that you can get at hd for around 500$?
Old 01-01-2012, 08:19 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Don't think too many people in marine hobby use UV water treatment, but the vast majority do use RODI water for mixing fresh SW & top up. Given the choice between spending $500 on UV treatment as opposed to $250 for a quality RODI system, I'll bet most folks in the hobby would choose the RODI. A side benefit of having a RODI system is having pure RO water available for drinking, cooking, ice cubes, making beer/wine/soda pop, topping up car batteries, radiators.....

Last edited by mike31154; 01-01-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:29 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Don't think too many people in marine hobby use UV water treatment, but the vast majority do use RODI water for mixing fresh SW & top up. Given the choice between spending $500 on UV treatment as opposed to $250 for a quality RODI system, I'll bet most folks in the hobby would choose the RODI. A side benefit of having a RODI system is having pure RO water available for drinking, cooking, ice cubes, making beer/wine/soda pop, topping up car batteries, radiators.....
+1
RO/DI is way more important. Whether you buy a filter system (recommended) or buy ro water from the store. There won't be any DOCs in the water (dissolved organic compounds). These would fuel algae. Keep looking in the classifieds here and elsewhere and you will buy cheaper. New filters and you are good to go.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:27 AM

Kimmi7 is on a distinguished road

So I got a 90 gallon today already drilled from another member, along with a 30 to use for the sump. So does anyone know of any places in edmonton that would make internal overflow boxes? hoping for some place on the northside of the river.

thanks
Old 01-03-2012, 04:02 PM

sully08 is on a distinguished road

Very easy to do, I did my own and it worked out great. If you would like to have someone do it I know Marine Aquaria would probably build one and install it for you. not sure on what they would charge. If you want some pics. of mine let me know and I will send them to you and you can see how easy it is.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:36 PM

sunoka is on a distinguished road

What make is the tank ?? odds are the glass is not tempered and if it is it will likely only be tempered on the bottom if any. I have a 77 gal and there is not a pc. of temp glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmi7 View Post
well looks like I will be putting this on hold till I find a new tank. Mine looks like tempered glass and dont want to try to see if it isnt by drilling. Oh well just means I can go bigger for my angels, then get bigger with the reef tank.

So what is the benfits of moon lighting on a reef tank? I will be saving up for a great light set now that I am going with a different tank, as I dont like the look of hob anything anymore that i found canister filters. (will be doing sump)

With drilling into the bottom wouldnt that cause a overflow when and if power goes out? as water runs downhill lol. just dont want to have to pull up carpet in the new house just yet.

So if I was going to do a 90-125 gallon tank, I believe I would be needing around 1000gh for movement to get 7x hr?