Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-15-2004, 04:42 PM

tkhawaja is on a distinguished road
Default can i make fish food from grocery items?

So as a valentine's day present I got a few of the fish my wife has been wanting me to get since I started the tank. And, I kept on telling her it wasn't ready yet. Till I turned on the lights and voila. . ...

J&L did an excellent job shipping the fish, as usual. I was only going to get one of their reef custodian specials on sale but I said what the heck take advantage of the shipping and get a few fish.

BUT, they forgot to include the fish food I requested in email and on the phone. So, now they won't be able to ship it until Monday and who knows when it gets here. Meanshile all I have pre-bought is some Nori. So, I'm looking for suggestions. I've got clowns, grammas, and chromis.

What can I make at home for my fish until the real fish food arrives Ingredients to be gotten from the local IGA or Superstore / Extra Foods.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:01 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Things that come out of the ocean will do fine. Chop it up in the blender then freeze it, and shave some off to feed the fish.

And if you have Fenner's book,"The Conscientous Marine Aquarist", there is even a recipe in there.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 02-15-2004, 05:01 PM

Chad is on a distinguished road

just get some uncooked shrimp... blend it or chop it into small pieces. My fish love it...

Old 02-15-2004, 05:03 PM

TNTCanada is on a distinguished road

I'm not an expert but you could buy some shrimp, clams, squid, Nori,salmon, herring, egg any of these will work put in a blender with some garlic it sould be plenty. Put it on a small tray and put it in the freezer after it's frozen scrape it off and put it in a zip lock. Or just put it in the zip lock lay it down in the freezer and flatten it out. Break off what you need let it thaw and put it in. If you use herring don't use to much it is very oily and stinky and I was told only to use the egg white.
This is just my thoughts see what other people have to say.
Cheers
72g Bowfront Drilled,Lighting,2x250 10,000k MH,2 actinic T5,2/6" fans,2MJ with 1600gph convertions kits,Bullet 2 style skimmer with Mak 4,29g sump/Refugium,96W power compacts in sump, Velocity T4 Titanium "return",Life Guard 300 Fluidize bed filter,1"sand bed, 29g auto top off, 140lb LR,SPS,LPS,Softies,Zoos,2Percula Clowns, 2yellow tail Damsels,1yellow tang,2cleaner shrimp, 1six line Wrass,2 Bengaii Cardinal,1lawnmower Blenny,1sand sifting star,1TigerTailCucumber, snails,hermit crabs,Macros.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:56 PM

Gujustud is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Gujustud Send a message via MSN to Gujustud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_I
And if you have Fenner's book,"The Conscientous Marine Aquarist", there is even a recipe in there.
things he mentions, are peeled shrimp, mollusk (clams, mussels, oysters), fresh/frozen sea weed (canned spinach), and gelatin
Old 02-15-2004, 08:27 PM

Default thnx

Thanks for all the suggestions. I also found a few recipies online. Hopefully the new inhabitants can survive until the real fish food comes along.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:34 PM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road
Default Re: thnx

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkhawaja
Hopefully the new inhabitants can survive until the real fish food comes along.
Actually, homemade food is "real" fish food....
Old 02-15-2004, 10:48 PM

Default "real" fish food

You got me there. i concocted up some shrimp, nori, and garlic in the blender. Added some water to thin it out a bit. Put about half a tea spoon of this stuff in the tank and the fish went crazy. Either they were really hungry, liked the taste, or both. This should keep them happy for the next few days until the flake food and various food additives arrive. Thanks for the help, to all.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:02 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

I alternate a frozen homemade concoction with Mysis every other day. In the evenings I feed OSI Marine flake food. That is to make sure they get some variety. The fish seem to think it is OK. They have never come out and asked for something different.

---------Homer Simpson--------