Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics livestock related only)

Old 11-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Just to add to the debate, the true Oregon tort as they call it should have brown polyps and the coral is generally a baby teal blue. There are alot of people claiming they have it, I have bought a few pieces myself only to find out that it was a Cali tort. I bought a piece from OC a year ago and had to wait a year to get it. It was $120 for a piece the size of your thumb nail. But it was well worth the wait!

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 11-23-2011, 09:31 PM

Casey8 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I could post a pic if that tides you over

I don't mind, please share your picture here
Old 11-23-2011, 09:32 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
I bought a piece from OC a year ago and had to wait a year to get it.
So you don't need the piece anymore?
Old 11-23-2011, 09:39 PM

Mandosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowder View Post
I don't think or prices are higher then the states. I think our prices are consistenly lower. The market here is not as strong as it is in the states. Take Chalice , you can't sell a eye of any chalice for a hundred plus dollars here. They do it in the states everyday. OC is one of the only places here in te lower mainland that sells it . So they can command a higher price. Look at red planet. It's price was quit high, I believe $75 when it was first available. Now you can find it for around $40.
Very true with the chalices. As far as the Red Planet, you can find it privately for $40 but I'd be surprised to see it in a Canadian store for that. When you consider what's involved in bringing these types of corals into the country you have to expect to pay a premium price for premium pieces. Thats why they remain rare corals.

I'm not saying $100 is a fair price for an Oregon Tort privately, likely closer to half that.

Good luck with the search.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:39 AM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't think or prices are higher then the states. I think our prices are consistenly lower. The market here is not as strong as it is in the states. Take Chalice , you can't sell a eye of any chalice for a hundred plus dollars here. They do it in the states everyday. OC is one of the only places here in te lower mainland that sells it . So they can command a higher price. Look at red planet. It's price was quit high, I believe $75 when it was first available. Now you can find it for around $40.
This is only because you are comparing to corals that can be wild caught......if you want a "true" oregon tort...you are not going to find it in any mariculutred or wild shipment. It has to come from the states and is purely captive grown.....and slow growing, hard to find, and more hard to find in Canada.....ie expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
Just to add to the debate, the true Oregon tort as they call it should have brown polyps and the coral is generally a baby teal blue. There are alot of people claiming they have it, I have bought a few pieces myself only to find out that it was a Cali tort. I bought a piece from OC a year ago and had to wait a year to get it. It was $120 for a piece the size of your thumb nail. But it was well worth the wait!
I don't know if I would call the colour baby teal.....IMO its more royal blue.

HERE IS THE BIGGEST TELL OF A TRUE OREGON TORT. It is solid blue from base to tip...ie. no light coloured growth tips like most torts and other corals. Probably due to the slow growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandosh View Post
When you consider what's involved in bringing these types of corals into the country you have to expect to pay a premium price for premium pieces.
Ya what is involved to import these captive raised american corals that have no CITES information into Canada. Only know one store who has figured that out.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:52 AM

wayner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A TRUE OREGON TORT. It is solid blue from base to tip...ie. no light coloured growth tips like most torts and other corals. Probably due to the slow growth.

This is exactly the way mine is - just encrusting at the base right now - but i agree, it's more of a Royal Blue and the nicest Blue I've ever seen., blue from base to the very tip - and a very slow grower
Old 11-24-2011, 01:05 AM

PMC is on a distinguished road

I think they already have something called "BC Weed", and from what I understand it sells really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexifd View Post
ya.. they found this particular monti cap in someone's tank in Idaho.

fancy name helps to promote sales right? maybe I should name one of my acro as "BC Weed"
Old 11-24-2011, 01:13 AM

Psstt ... I am telling you guys a big secret here ... Tangdaddy is going to get a REAL Oregon blue tort from Paul. Let him grow it a year or so then we can come and bug him after I live very close to him just half block away from my appartment, so I will be the first one in the line
Old 11-24-2011, 01:46 AM

Chowder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey8 View Post
Psstt ... I am telling you guys a big secret here ... Tangdaddy is going to get a REAL Oregon blue tort from Paul. Let him grow it a year or so then we can come and bug him after I live very close to him just half block away from my appartment, so I will be the first one in the line
I think the line already started.

Chris
Old 11-24-2011, 01:50 AM

Let's see who will be running faster to get the first frag