Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-21-2011, 06:09 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
It wouldn't take a whole lot of effort to make collection limits on these fish (and other "sensitive" species) which would drive up the price and help to prevent "the average hobbyist" from acquiring them. The governing body is already in place (DAR). The only thing needing to happen are regulations on collecting limits.

Who wants to buy a $300 that is difficult to keep alive? Mostly only experts that know they can do it. I would LOVE to have a Moorish Idol, but I know I probably can't keep it which is enough for me to refuse to try.

I was in an LFS not too long ago where a customer was mad because a Moorish Idol died before he could buy it. I tried to tactfully explain why he would be a moron to buy it (he's a newbie in the sw world), but he wouldn't hear any of it. Something tells me he might have thought twice if the fish was $300 instead of $50. I personally don't believe that fish like the Moorish Idol and Cleaner Wrasse should be readily available to any hobbyist, and especially not for the insanely low prices they are offered at.

If we can't get regulations governing the export of fish from their country of origin then maybe we could put governing regulations on fishes being imported. Maybe sensitive species could have high import taxes which are forwarded to research institutes. There are a lot of ways that these issues in question could be improved.
A blanket import tax on wild-caught fish is the only really practical method. A species specific tax relies on some customs guy being able to tell the difference between an ocellaris clownfish and a moorish idol, or a wholesaler being ethical enough to fill out the forms honestly.

Revenues from the tax would probably only be sufficient to cover the cost of enforcing it

I think everyone is in agreement that legislation and enforcement of collection practices and species is one thing in a developed place like Hawaii, but completely impractical in most of these impoverished nations where the bulk of our fish come from.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:28 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork View Post
A blanket import tax on wild-caught fish is the only really practical method. A species specific tax relies on some customs guy being able to tell the difference between an ocellaris clownfish and a moorish idol, or a wholesaler being ethical enough to fill out the forms honestly.
The trouble with a blanket tax is that it wouldn't protect the more sensitive species. Hawaii Division of Aquatic Resources already has plenty of employees that can identify the different species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork
I think everyone is in agreement that legislation and enforcement of collection practices and species is one thing in a developed place like Hawaii, but completely impractical in most of these impoverished nations where the bulk of our fish come from.
Yes, I agree with you there. MASNA is talking a bit about organizing some sort of governing body.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:00 AM

Kaua'i joins in the Ban. Another first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret Talbot
he second of five counties in Hawai'i have now voted urging the state to ban the marine aquarium trade. Many close to the debate over the marine aquarium fishery contend the vote was influenced by misinformation and misused statistics that seek to frame an ethical debate as a resource issue. The local media's response appears uncritical and potentially makes it more difficult for multi-stakeholder groups to work toward collaborative solutions that can ensure sustainability.

Two of the five counties in the state of Hawai‘i have now voted to urge the State to prohibit the sale of aquatic life for aquarium purposes. Echoing action taken by the Hawai‘i County Council in early October, Kaua‘i County Council recently voted unanimously to include in the 2012 Kaua‘i County Legislative Package a proposed draft resolution urging the Legislature to ban the collection of marine life for the aquarium trade statewide.
http://www.masna.org/Blog/tabid/430/...Statewide.aspx

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:28 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Interesting days. I really feel the hobby and the industry behind it is at a major crossroads. It will be very interesting to see where things wind up in a couple years.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:56 PM

The ridiculous part is that they are all just going around and around in circles! It seems there is no progress one way or other. Both sides are using the same arguments over and over, and no matter what the anti-Ban side does, the Ban side won't give an inch.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
The ridiculous part is that they are all just going around and around in circles! It seems there is no progress one way or other. Both sides are using the same arguments over and over, and no matter what the anti-Ban side does, the Ban side won't give an inch.
Like a banning for the aquarium trade super committee
They likely get paid well to negotiate in circles.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:42 PM

Seamazter is on a distinguished road

Some wholesale distributers use http://www.reefcheck.org/
A group of folks dedicated to saving the oceans and reefs.
Many boxes i have unpacked contain this sticker saying verified by reefcheck.
These folks check and verify the contents of the packages to ensure that no red listed or poor packaging practices are used.

There is also cities who controls how many and what species are exported from a country, we here in the western world know them as the folks that wont allow us to import, but they also stop countries from exporting.

And each country has there own "wild life police" These are the ones that restrict collection in certain protected areas and some reefs.

Remember when Bush Jr left the presidents office he set aside 195000 square miles in the Pacific Ocean.

There are some protections in place already, what they are doing in Hawaii is only a new step in protecting the oceans.

Outrage over Hawaii closing ornamental fishing is bound to happen, but really they have tried many other methods already and are still failing.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:47 PM

babyreef is on a distinguished road

BLANK

Last edited by babyreef; 11-25-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:01 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog...aquarium-trade
Old 01-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow...
Could that have been more of a biased point of view??

Good for hawaii, good for the oceans, bad for us.
If any of these actually gets passed into law that is...

Hope to see alot more of this kind of change in the future...

maybe my future kids will even be able to see a wild reef in their lifetimes...