Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-12-2011, 04:29 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

sorry to hear about your nem Tony

I'm still running pellets (ever since we started in '09 was it?). When I ran out of the original pellets I started using Vertex pellets mid 2010 and have been on the Vertex pellets ever since. They're the only pellets I ever seen in stores. Everything seems to have done well on those pellets.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:53 AM

RSM is on a distinguished road

I started with 1/3 vertex bp in my 210gal, the slowly added another 1/3 after 2weeks and so on. Everything looked ok except my leathers. My toad stool started getting lighter( whiter and yellow) so did my devils hand. Lost the toadstool but the devils hand is coming back to life. Sps, zoos and even my 16 head frogspawn seem to like bp.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:08 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Tony, have you considered a sulfur denitrator? Not a cheap fix by any means, but they work really well. Need an ORP monitor/controller too. If you buy them used they hold that value pretty well, don't buy new - too pricey. Cheap to run though. I've never use one on a reef (never had nitrate issues on a reef), but have used them on FOWLRs with great success. I'm thinking you need some big guns to keep up to those poop monsters.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 11-12-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:56 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Yeah, I played around with sulfur denitrators in the past. You nailed it in that you really need an ORP monitor for that. I didn't have one and I found it a challenge to dial in a flowrate that would remain steady state and still allow it to go anaerobic. I like the idea of those for something like a large FOWLR or predator tank.

The pellets are a set and forget thing, I like them that way they are super easy - but I just find it odd that there seems to be the occasional claim of bleaching. Very much in the minority but yet still often enough to dismiss it as a coincidence.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:09 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I had the same issue while using the vertex pellets. I tried them twice and the same thing happened each time. The first time I used the recommended minimum amount and nearly all of my soft coral plus a few of my LPS began to bleach within a month. The second time I used much less and the same thing happened. I don't know if it was related or not but my montipora also bleached and receded a bit a few months after trying the pellets. While it seems unlikely that they would cause that months after their use I can't come up with a better explanation. My oldest montipora I got back in 2005 and the only time I've ever had any problems with them was when I tried pellets.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 11-12-2011, 04:31 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Ya it still boggles my mind that results with bioPellets are quite varied especially when you consider that they are supposed to be set and forget. I have been using well over the recommended amount without any issues while some people nearly crash their tanks with just a few pellets. Very strange..
Old 11-13-2011, 02:50 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

It boggles my mind as well, so I have been thinking of things that could contribute to this but it's only speculation.

I know that Kien runs pellets in conjunction with Carbon & GFO but not sure what he has for a skimmer or what its rated for. Also how much flow he has running threw the pellets and threw his sump and has no issues.

I am running pellets with double the req. flow with an Aqua Medic 2500 pump, Carbon & GFO. My skimmer is rated for 400gph, feed by another AM 2500 & recirculating with the same. For flow I have a 3600 GPH closed loop and a 6500 GPH return pump.

So I am wondering if there is some connection with the way people's tanks are run because no tank is the same. For those having issues let get some info together on each others system to compare and see if we can find a connection.

Just a thought.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 11-21-2011, 01:09 PM

pscott99 is on a distinguished road
Default My bio pellets video and my 30gal tank

Hmmm. My carpet is bleached you can see it in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOKSY..._order&list=UL
Old 11-21-2011, 01:51 PM

chris121277 is on a distinguished road

Interesting topic...just tagging along...as I'm considering starting the use of bio pellets
Old 11-21-2011, 05:09 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Well just as an update I just drained the reactor of water, then moved the whole kit and kaboodle over to my FOWLR tank. The water is clearer, the nitrates dropped off in a week, I now have zero phosphate levels on there, the cyano is retreating and, although it might just be wishful thinking at this point, I think my valonia (bubble algae) looks like it's retreating as well.

Ha! Too bad I can't keep corals in that that tank (butterflies - corals nummy nummy!).

So the pellets can definitely do a nice job of things.

As to the bleached mini-maxi carpet however ... it's weird. It could be coincidental timing but it just seems like a bit of an odd coincidence. It did continue to bleach for at least a week following the reactor/tank switcharoo. Seems to be holding steady now, and it eats fine so I assume it will be OK..