Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-11-2011, 05:15 PM

mayheim is on a distinguished road

Hey Marko. I just used a product called "Chemi clean" red slime remover treats up to 900 gallons, comes in a powder form. Turned off my skimmer, took carbon and any other media out of my sump. one teaspoon per 10 gallons. put carbon backin after 24 hrs., and turned on my skimmer after 48 hrs. It says to do a 20% water change also after 48 hrs, but I waited an extra 3 days and just did my weekly water change. Slime completely gone. I have done this to my fish only tank and reef tank, with no ill effects. Also cut back on the feeding, tend to ovefeed at times which causes the growth. I just finished this whole process this morning. Tanks look great.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:38 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Red slime treatment is not like an ATM. It's not an instant remedy.

If you read it says more than one treatment may necessary... Along with a water change at x days. And yes... Turn off the skimmer It removes it.

I used it along with manually removing and it took 6 weeks.

I think you have an issue you have yet to identify. Everyone claims their tank parameters are good... But something you are doing is causing the cyano.

A well maintained tank usually has controllable algae.

Good luck.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoD View Post
I followed instructions to a tee. I used 16 scoops for 250 gallons total volume
Did you compensate for displacement caused by rock volume? You could have I'll effects by over dosing.

What brand of red slime?

It seems you are the only one with a box stating leave skimmer on.

My 70 Gallon build:

My Mandarin Paradise:

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.

Last edited by paddyob; 11-11-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:48 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Cause of cyano is over feeding while I was on vacation.

And yes the box says to keep slimmer on. I'll take a picture of it of I still have it. Brand is ultra life red slime remover
Old 11-11-2011, 06:35 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

My Chemiclean instructions say to turn the skimmer off. So sounds like it is not the same stuff.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:39 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

I've used the chemiclean product in the past and had good results as well.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:44 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I've used both over the years. To me they are similar (although not identical) products. I seem to recall they both smelled like banana flavored candy to me for example. But Chemiclean is a white powder and RSM is a yellow powder. They might not be the same thing. I think you can also use Erithromycin but I've never tried this myself so don't quote me on that.

I think in a way they are both right because the same sort of thing happens with either of them: 1) the skimmer goes nuts, and 2) the O2 level depletes in the tank as the cyano starts to die off and rot, thereby increasing the risk of suffocation/asphyxiation of the tankmates.

Therefore, leaving the skimmer "on" means it will likely overflow and make a mess, and leaving it "off" takes away something that helps with re-oxygenation. Nothing is black or white, but there are a million shades of grey.

My advice is:
1) If the skimmer is in the sump, just leave it on and let it overflow back into the tank, as there is no risk of flooding your floor or emptying your sump.
2) If the skimmer is a hang on the back style, or external to the sump, then leave it on, but dial the air intake as far down as possible. Lower the water level in the skimmer if you can too. This way it's still bubbling away, but not emptying the tank.
3) If you don't have a skimmer at all then stop being so eccentric and just go out and buy one. (JUST KIDDING. Sheesh, put the tomatoes away. Everyone's a critic.. ). But seriously, if no skimmer, then maybe add a powerhead to agitate the water surface or something like that just to keep up with the O2/CO2 exchange.

Hope this helps..
Old 11-12-2011, 02:56 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Good advice Tony.

My ChemiClean instructions say to turn off the skimmer, but to add an airstone. I said, "F that crap, I'll just let the skimmer overflow." Kill two birds with one stone! Ha! It did take almost two weeks for my skimmer to run consistently after the treatment. I had the water level way down, and every time I would adjust it up it would overflow in an hour or two, then I would turn it down and wouldn't get any skimmate...it was frustrating.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoD View Post
Cause of cyano is over feeding while I was on vacation.

And yes the box says to keep slimmer on. I'll take a picture of it of I still have it. Brand is ultra life red slime remover
Whatever the brand... It will work with diligence. I used it in several maintenance tanks when I was with AI...and at home, Skimmer off as it directed at the time I guess.. Water change and siphon.

Works.

My 70 Gallon build:

My Mandarin Paradise:

Old 11-12-2011, 08:22 AM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

here's what the box says " For best results, DO NOT turn off UV Sterilizer or Ozonizer. Continuation of Protein Skimming is recommended but may require adjustment.
Due to Increased biological digestion of organic solids we recommend increasing your O2 levels by the addition of airstones prior to and during treatment.
No need for Water changes or Removal of Carbon Filtration. "

also read about it here

http://www.marinedepot.com/Ultralife...FIMERM-vi.html