Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 10-14-2011, 05:52 AM
Vendor

Red Coral Aquariums is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmaster12345 View Post
does any one know the email i can talk to the guy at red coral i have millons and millons of aptasia i just want it gone or trade the rock let me know i have coral for sale as well and fish want everything gone i will sell everything in my tank for 1000
I have 4+ adults nearly 1" long in a tank with plenty of aptasia. I am hoping they start to breed as I can no longer afford to bring these guys in. I would though consider a prepaid group order for them. My # at the shop is 403 338-1880.
Kevin
Old 10-14-2011, 03:29 PM

Oilers is on a distinguished road

What type of file fish is the most effective in term of getting rid of the aptasia?
Old 10-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers View Post
What type of file fish is the most effective in term of getting rid of the aptasia?
Matted Filefish, Acreichthys tomentosus
Old 10-14-2011, 06:45 PM

reefmaster12345 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Coral Aquariums View Post
I have 4+ adults nearly 1" long in a tank with plenty of aptasia. I am hoping they start to breed as I can no longer afford to bring these guys in. I would though consider a prepaid group order for them. My # at the shop is 403 338-1880.
Kevin
well kevin let me know if u need aptasia or if u would like to swap rock some of the rock has got lots of gsp on it if not i may just boil the rock as this is to much i have wasted about a grand in coral
Old 10-15-2011, 02:44 AM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default aptasia

banner fish also clean up aptasia-breeding berghia right now-will have 20-30 by next month ready to go
Old 10-15-2011, 07:06 AM

Edmonton newbie is on a distinguished road

lol i had filefish in both my tanks full of zoas too now i have 2 tanks and i think i still have a single zoa head left, both filefish eat like pigs but everytime i turn around they hit the zoa gardens. i moved a small green tip from one tank to the other and looked back an hour later...... file fish with HUGE white lips and little bubble tip gone. my next tank will not have a filefish id rather take my chances with an angel
Old 11-05-2011, 02:42 AM
Banned

kafug is on a distinguished road

I rember seeing this little electric zapper to fry the little bastards, just can't rember what site it was on. Really easy to make. I will see if I can find it for u. From what I seen it worked pretty good and it didn't bother the fish.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:59 AM
Banned

kafug is on a distinguished road

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78657

This is the one not sure how to send a bookmark. So this is what ya get. If all else fails it in the DIY section under aptasia zapper. Look like fun.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:15 PM

chevyjaxon is on a distinguished road

Although I never support the buying of Copper banded butterflies, perhaps if you have nothing con specific like a tang in your tank, you could have success keeping one in your tank. apparently they really like aipasia (their beeks poke into rocks well), Dont be too dissapointed though if it dies on you or goes on a hunger strike those can be an absolute nightmare of a fish to make happy and keep. I will never support the capturing of those for our hobby because of how hard they are too keep good luck removing the aiptasia.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:32 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

I finally got my aiptasia problem licked in my display tank. I have a Copperband, but he just wasn't going after them, probably feeding too well on other food. But I also have a couple of Pearlscale Butterfly fish in the tank, and they finally took a liking to the aiptasia. Didn't happen for many months (also too well fed), but then one started nipping at them, and before long the others joined in. Then the war was on.

And what's really great, my Copperband also got it into the act, and with his long beak, can get the ones deep in their holes better than the Pearlscales.

I used to have 100's of these ugly things all over in my tank, and now, can't see any. There are still a few hiding out here and there, I'm sure, as the butterflys continue to hunt and peck at the rocks. But at least they are not over running my tank like before.

What would be interesting is if I removed the Pearlscales, whether my Copperband would continue to keep the aiptasia in check.

I know many are concerned about butterflys nipping at corals. My Copperband doesn't touch them, just the aiptasia. The only corals that my Pearlscales touch are my palys, but not enough to stop them from growing (yet). I suspect zoas wouldn't last with them though. Stuff like leathers, colt, bubble coral, frogspawn, are all safe, though.