Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-07-2011, 12:41 AM

Timbits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
I know I'm gonna ruffle some feathers with this cuz people love their PE mysis........ But why would you feed a freshwater shrimp to a saltwater fish when there are saltwater equivalents?..... I'm just sayin
I've heard before that feeding your fish freshwater shrimp is better because the fish already has to rid of so much excess salt in the water so by feeding it a non salty food its less work/stress on them. (something like that, not sure if i got it right)
Old 09-07-2011, 02:58 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

+1 on the PE mysis. This is the only other food that my copperband butterfly eats. Come to think of it, that fish mostly eat only non-saltwater diet for 9 months now...live white worms and PE mysis, with occasional mussel.

If it was so bad, he would not be as fat and healthy as he is right now.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:02 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I know I'm gonna ruffle some feathers with this cuz people love their PE mysis........ But why would you feed a freshwater shrimp to a saltwater fish when there are saltwater equivalents?..... I'm just sayin
It's not so great when your fish refuse to eat it because they prefer PE mysis, Just sayin Although it could be because my fish are so used to the PE mysis and I buy the larger packs so the PE mysis shrimp are larger then the Ocean fresh shrimp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Because so far there hasn't been an equivalent readily available. The quality of the PE mysis is better than any other I have seen. I haven't even heard of Ocean Fresh until this thread. Also, when it comes to shrimp they all consume the same thing.
+1

Last edited by fishoholic; 09-07-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:49 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbits View Post
I've heard before that feeding your fish freshwater shrimp is better because the fish already has to rid of so much excess salt in the water so by feeding it a non salty food its less work/stress on them. (something like that, not sure if i got it right)

where did you hear that from?.....fresh water mysis promotional material.....I dont know, but if that were true, all saltwater fish would congregate at the mouths of rivers and tributaries to eat fresh water food......cmon.....saltwater fish have evolved over millions of years......do you really think that they cant deal with salt?.....seems like kinda, a baseless piece of trivia........kinda like "fish can die from micro-bubbles"

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
+1 on the PE mysis. This is the only other food that my copperband butterfly eats. Come to think of it, that fish mostly eat only non-saltwater diet for 9 months now...live white worms and PE mysis, with occasional mussel.

If it was so bad, he would not be as fat and healthy as he is right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
It's not so great when your fish refuse to eat it because they prefer PE mysis, Just sayin Although it could be because my fish are so used to the PE mysis and I buy the larger packs so the PE mysis shrimp are larger then the Ocean fresh shrimp.

sounds like I did ruffle some feathers........for the record I never said that PE mysis was bad...... I merely stated that there was a better option.......

well then your fish in each of your own little worlds must be representative of all fish.....kudos to you Daniella for trying the best you can to most accurately replicate what the animals you enclose in a glass box eat....all I know is we have fed literally hundreds of fish at the shop with "ocean fresh" plankton and had great results.......probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 80% of the people that shop at RCC use ocean fresh and swear by it..........you two should maybe open your eyes and give something new a chance.......you know......kinda like "Ive been feeding my dog purina dog chow for 5 years and now he wont eat this other brand that should be better for him".......do you still continue to feed the dog chow?.....
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 09-07-2011, 03:55 AM

chandigz is on a distinguished road

I don't have a favorite but here are my top choices. I feed different food for different fishes needs.
Cyclopeeze for smaller fish(Nano), mandarins, coral, gorgs. I've never had a problem to get mandarins to take cyclopeeze as a first food. They are pod eaters so they get pods(cylopeeze)
PE Mysis has always been good but I like the ocean fresh plankton better. Similar in size but the strong shelfish smell of the plankton says it all for me. The feeding response of my corals was insane with the ocean fresh. As soon as it hit the water everything new it was feeding time. Too bad I can't find it here locally which is kind of funny because it's caught just north of here.
Hikari Mysis because they are way smaller then the PE mysis and a little bigger then brine shrimp. Sometime PE mysis are just too big.
Being right on the ocean, some of the best I feed would be stuff I get locally and freeze myself.(Uni-Urchin eggs, oyster ovary/eggs, herring roe)
Old 09-07-2011, 04:21 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
so your sayin that a freshwater shrimp eating a freshwater diet will have have the same nutritional benefits to our saltwater fish as a saltwater shrimp with a saltwater diet?
I do think there is a difference, but I don't think it is significant enough to be concerned about. For the most part, the shrimp would have little nutritional differences even in a lab. The fatty acid profile would differ a bit, but it also differs from mackerel to sole. A shark and a trout are a bit different from each other, but a freshwater shrimp and a saltwater shrimp...not so much. Honestly, I don't think it makes that much difference. Especially when there are members of the same genus within both freshwater and saltwater eco-systems. If it made a big difference you wouldn't see so many breeders using mysis.

You don't ruffle my feathers. You do bring up a good point, albeit it's arguing Porsche over Mercedes...there isn't a bad choice!

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 09-07-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
If it made a big difference you wouldn't see so many breeders using mysis.
probably because there hasnt been an economical alternative(or the market to support it) until recently.......much easier and more economical to harvest shrimp from a freshwater lake in BF nowhere Canada than it is to collect and harvest it from the ocean
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694

Last edited by fishytime; 09-07-2011 at 04:55 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:53 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

If you want to get into details, most breeders use homemade diets, but PE mysis is often a part of it. Lots of clownfish breeders just use pellets/flake.

People have been collecting and using/selling all sorts of saltwater plankton for like ever Doug. Hikari or HBH or Sanfran Plankton and mysis are all same price.

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:59 AM

Pirates_Gold is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"Ocean Fresh" plankton.....it's a salt water mysis shrimp..... Contains more of the omega and fatty acids that our salty friends would get naturally in the wild
How much fatty acids are more than they get in the wild? Why would you want to feed your salty friends more?

Supporting analytical data illustrates that PE Mysis has less Crude Fat (8.35% dry weight) compared to that of the Ocean Fresh (18% dry weight). The PE Mysis also has a higher Protein content (69.5% dry weight) compared to that of the Ocean Fresh (58% dry weight). High Ash content is one parameter that I have always watched. It appears that the PE Mysis is much less (5.5% dry weight) compared to that of your Ocean Fresh (13% dry weight). I cannot compare the heavy metal contents analysis, but do see that they exist within your Ocean Fresh.

I understand that the Aqua Treasures and the PE Mysis Shrimp are harvested from the same freshwater lake, however, I cannot find any comparable analytical data on them. I find them less Oily than the PE Mysis.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirates_Gold View Post
How much fatty acids are more than they get in the wild? Why would you want to feed your salty friends more?

Supporting analytical data illustrates that PE Mysis has less Crude Fat (8.35% dry weight) compared to that of the Ocean Fresh (18% dry weight). The PE Mysis also has a higher Protein content (69.5% dry weight) compared to that of the Ocean Fresh (58% dry weight). High Ash content is one parameter that I have always watched. It appears that the PE Mysis is much less (5.5% dry weight) compared to that of your Ocean Fresh (13% dry weight). I cannot compare the heavy metal contents analysis, but do see that they exist within your Ocean Fresh.

I understand that the Aqua Treasures and the PE Mysis Shrimp are harvested from the same freshwater lake, however, I cannot find any comparable analytical data on them. I find them less Oily than the PE Mysis.
so I guess tens of thousands of years of evolution and feeding on food originating from where the fish actually lives have produced obese, unfit and unhealthy fish?....fact is........saltwater fish live, grow, thrive because of their environment and what they eat out there in the wild......we bring them into our little boxes and feed them "suitable substitutes" (in our eyes), get five years out of them and think ......."well he lived five years.....thats pretty dang good"......when, if left in the wild eating OCEAN FRESH plankton (a fatty, low protein, high ash food) they probably would have lived 10, 15, 20 years......now I dont seriously believe that diet is the only factor shortening a captive fishes lifespan, but.........