Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 07-31-2011, 01:37 AM

Tacoyaki is on a distinguished road

oh okay ill invest in that then
Old 07-31-2011, 04:25 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

From an alternate viewpoint, I would never use dry rock myself. I've bought over 500 pounds of live rock, and only once got a worm I had to get rid of. I removed the rock and put it in the garden.
The diversity of life that comes on live rock is to me, one of the best reasons to use it. The brittle stars, mysids, the snails and crabs, etc, all make for a reef. Unless you have a source for all this variety off the rock, you could be missing a lot, or at least wait a very long time for it to get introduced to the tank on something else.
Starting with dry rock, IMO, leaves you with rock that is colonized with some bacteria for filtration, but it isn't live rock. Just my opinion....
Old 07-31-2011, 04:29 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

I went with a bit of a combo. I got live rock from many sources and made a few custom pieces out of cement and I have a couple of pieces of dry tuffa rock. I think I sort of got the best of both worlds. I was VERY selective in picking my live rock from sources that I trust (no aptasia, nuisance algae, mantis shrimp etc....) Hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:31 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
I went with a bit of a combo.
Probably the best compromise. Minimize the risk while still introducing the life from live rock!
Old 07-31-2011, 04:46 AM

well the tank im doing is only 10g, so im guessing 7lbs base rock and 3lbs liverock would do?

also about the temp again. I'm really scared to put a heater on the tank, It's been at 77.4F all day. My house doesn't have any ac so it's hot all day. Can i get away with this till the summer ends anyways? I just dont wanna go cook any fish i get.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:51 AM
Just a guy..

Add a heater set to 77, that way it doesn't drop below it, it's not going to cook anything.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:59 AM

will do
Old 08-07-2011, 04:28 AM

So i had this crazy idea and i was wondering if it would work.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Basically I wanna put 2 10 gallon tanks side by side and connect them together. Is this do-able? I'm planning on just keeping alot of live rock on the tank 2, and keeping tank 1 as a display.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:42 PM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

If there are two pumps one pumping from tank one in to tank two and the other pump is pumping back, it is a recipe for disaster.
Two pumps are never same even if they are "identical" there will be variation in an amount of water they will pump.
The only way to safely connect two vessels is an overflow with single circulation pump and the way to do it is to place one tank slightly above the other.