Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your switch to LED?
Happy - Switched from MH to DIY 7 12.28%
Happy - Switched from T5 to DIY 6 10.53%
Happy - Switched from MH to store bought 19 33.33%
Happy - Switched from T5 to stor bought 8 14.04%
Unhappy - Switched from MH to DIY 0 0%
Unhappy - Switched from T5 to DIY 0 0%
Unhappy - Switched from MH to store bought 4 7.02%
Unhappy - Switched from T5 to store bought 5 8.77%
Happy - this is my first light 7 12.28%
Unhappy - this is my first light 3 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2011, 12:22 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkinsn View Post
Most MH lamps will depriciate 50-60% of lumens by 50% of lamp life (dependant on brand, and yes you will find that the MFR will try to hide that and post better findings).
Would you be so kind to post a reference link to your statement ?
I remember not too long ago there was a discussion on here and some good references just to the contrary. That MH bulbs only loose 20-25% in 12 months.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:33 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

If the corals are still just as colorful, growing and no algae problems then I don't see the need to change a bulb at a fixed interval just because somebody says I have to. Every bulbs life is going to be different based on mfg, hour usage, temperature control, brand of fixture they're in, etc. This were I don't agree with LED mfg's using short bulb life of non-led's to help justify their high prices in their marketing schemes showing how much money you will save every year on bulb changes.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:03 PM

regent2009 is on a distinguished road

i have my Maxspect G2-160 (X 2) LED to replace the Coralife 150Wx2 mh + 96Wx2 pc for about 14 months now. no looking back whatsoever. heat,energy bill,chiller not an issue anymore. sps seems growing happy. but i did burnt a lots of them ( too close to the water!) at the beginning 2 months. tank is 72g bf with 21g sump.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:13 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
If the corals are still just as colorful, growing and no algae problems then I don't see the need to change a bulb at a fixed interval just because somebody says I have to. Every bulbs life is going to be different based on mfg, hour usage, temperature control, brand of fixture they're in, etc. This were I don't agree with LED mfg's using short bulb life of non-led's to help justify their high prices in their marketing schemes showing how much money you will save every year on bulb changes.
+1. many of the high end units require a board replacement if an led burns out. Haven't heard the cost to replace one board but I imagines it's HUNDREDS of dollars.

The big thing too is many of us change tanks every few years or quit the hobby.6 + year payback isn't realistic IMO.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:43 AM

nlreefguy is on a distinguished road

For me, though, I have to say that heat was the biggest problem I had with metal halides. LEDs fixed that problem for me. Now you can say it is poor system design etc, but in the end I kept my system exactly as it is and just replaced MH with LED and no more temp problems.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:24 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlreefguy View Post
For me, though, I have to say that heat was the biggest problem I had with metal halides. LEDs fixed that problem for me. Now you can say it is poor system design etc, but in the end I kept my system exactly as it is and just replaced MH with LED and no more temp problems.

seeing yours fred opened my eyes to led i must say you have amazing growth and beautiful colour.i also learned a couple things mainly that if your gonna diy do it right the first time i hope youll help me with mine when i get them
Old 07-09-2011, 12:22 AM

chewie is on a distinguished road
Default Ikea led

I know this thread is about aquarium specific LED systems but I just cannot come up with the $ for a complete set up. I am currently running mh on both my systems, have a fan built into canopy on both and have no problem with temp. I am however going try some cheap led strip lights from ikea to compliment my atinics. Going with this one to see how diferent colors look in the tank, maybe as moon lights.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50192365

Will update on my opinion of them once installed
Old 07-09-2011, 12:59 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

I think I might buy a cheap LED setup from ebay to try over my nano. I took down my 90g tank due to moving of which I had 2 250W MH's over it. The tank was on the main floor and never got above 80 degrees even during the summer. No fans just open top. Evaporation was only about a gallon a day. I used a Belize Sun fixture that does a really good job of venting the heat. I see a lot of heat complaints using MH and this seems to be the biggest advantage for some over LED's but I think a well designed MH fixture won't add much heat to the tank either in my experience anyway.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:35 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
I think I might buy a cheap LED setup from ebay to try over my nano. I took down my 90g tank due to moving of which I had 2 250W MH's over it. The tank was on the main floor and never got above 80 degrees even during the summer. No fans just open top. Evaporation was only about a gallon a day. I used a Belize Sun fixture that does a really good job of venting the heat. I see a lot of heat complaints using MH and this seems to be the biggest advantage for some over LED's but I think a well designed MH fixture won't add much heat to the tank either in my experience anyway.
Ya that is what I am thinking about i have a nano too and thinking what cheap LED would work. I want to grow my Ricordia's in the nano. Thought about those LEd screw in bulbs that you can get from Home depot they are 21w soft white thou.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:08 AM

nlreefguy is on a distinguished road

Very true, I built mine in stages and it is less than optimal but I'm still happy with it. I sure will help you when you get yours.... no problem. I just love building them and seeing the end result from doing something with your own hands that everyone is happy with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
seeing yours fred opened my eyes to led i must say you have amazing growth and beautiful colour.i also learned a couple things mainly that if your gonna diy do it right the first time i hope youll help me with mine when i get them