Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-01-2011, 11:49 AM

Reef23 is on a distinguished road
Default Oolite Substrate Question

Im upgrading from my current 75 to a custom 140G and am a little confused with what substrate works best with SSB. I'm only planning on running a 1"-1.5" bed. When I set my 75G up I always read that larger substrate such as crushed coral was the way to go for an SSB. Seems now when I read people say that crushed coral harbors all the nitrates. Is fine sand the way to go? I can get a great deal on Caribsea Arag-Alive Bahamas Oolite Substrate. Has anyone used this for there DT ?
Thanks
Old 07-01-2011, 01:42 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

I would not recommend fine sand in a SSB. The main reason is water flow in your tank. Fine sand will get blown around and you will have to dial back your flow. Every disturbane will kick up a major sand storm.

I would recommend special grade reef sand (or similar).
Old 07-01-2011, 01:57 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcha0s@conceptaquatics View Post
I would not recommend fine sand in a SSB. The main reason is water flow in your tank. Fine sand will get blown around and you will have to dial back your flow. Every disturbane will kick up a major sand storm.

I would recommend special grade reef sand (or similar).
+1 - i have that crap in my tank and now i have to siphon it out to replace it with special grade tank is ALWAYS cloudy
Old 07-01-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi delt reefer View Post
+1 - i have that crap in my tank and now i have to siphon it out to replace it with special grade tank is ALWAYS cloudy
So sounds like special grade is the way to go phi delt reefer where in London did you get the sand ? Thanks
Old 07-01-2011, 06:12 PM

corrosionjerry is on a distinguished road

I used the fine sand only I used about 2" layer of it... at first I had a sand storm that lasted 4-5 days... it settled down and since it has been good / no problems... I used it in a 90G with 800gph sump pump and two Korillas rated at 1200GPH on either end of the tank / Reef style tank
Old 07-01-2011, 06:38 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef23 View Post
Im upgrading from my current 75 to a custom 140G and am a little confused with what substrate works best with SSB. I'm only planning on running a 1"-1.5" bed. When I set my 75G up I always read that larger substrate such as crushed coral was the way to go for an SSB. Seems now when I read people say that crushed coral harbors all the nitrates. Is fine sand the way to go? I can get a great deal on Caribsea Arag-Alive Bahamas Oolite Substrate. Has anyone used this for there DT ?
Thanks
Why shallow sand bed (SSB)? The benefit of moving up to 2 to 3 inches is as follows.

1. The bed will assist in the biological cycle in your tank.
2. The bed will be populated with all kinds of organisms from worms to bacteria that provide food for your corals and small fish in your tank.
3. It looks natural just like the ocean.
4. You get to keep neat things like small wrasse that need a sand bed to sleep in at night.
5. Sand sifting snails and conchs are fun to watch when you drop some food to the bottom of the tank.

If you still want an SSB go with the fine sand. In a few days it settles down as others have suggested.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:37 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef23 View Post
So sounds like special grade is the way to go phi delt reefer where in London did you get the sand ? Thanks

I have a 12" shallow tank with 3000 gobs of flow total; 4powerheads and a return pump. I only added the final 1050 koralia unit last week after diving my sand a month to gum up and my sump is now full of sand. Probably because my tank is shallow, but you can see the nitrogen pockets already developing. I have about a 2" sandbed. Well that what I started with. Now I have 4" deep areas and some that are 1" or less. Looks more natural but my tank has looked "foggy" for a while.

I got my sugar sand from Eco reefer.

The Carib special grade sea floor will come from exotic reef in east London. It's a new place but u need tO call ahead for they don't have set hrs yet.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
Why shallow sand bed (SSB)? The benefit of moving up to 2 to 3 inches is as follows.

1. The bed will assist in the biological cycle in your tank.
2. The bed will be populated with all kinds of organisms from worms to bacteria that provide food for your corals and small fish in your tank.
3. It looks natural just like the ocean.
4. You get to keep neat things like small wrasse that need a sand bed to sleep in at night.
5. Sand sifting snails and conchs are fun to watch when you drop some food to the bottom of the tank.

If you still want an SSB go with the fine sand. In a few days it settles down as others have suggested.
I thought about running a 4"+ sandbed but have read alot of horror stories about people having lots of issues. I plan to run about 1.5" bed and continually stir it up so nothing will settle. Save money and time.