Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 04-26-2011, 01:25 AM

plutoniumJoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi delt reefer View Post

The issue with the AC pumps is the backwards spinning that may occur during constant switching and the nature of AC. The EVO pumps have bungs on the front grill that stop the reverse motion but owners are advising that those bungs are starting to "crack" off the grill - allowing reverse starts.

There were some attempts made by others to replicate the hydor controller for their DC pump line (the pumps are cheap but the controller is super expensive) - but i have yet to see one that is cost effecient. I think i saw a video for one on youtube but it didnt look like it was any cheaper to build than buying the original from Hydor.
I originally had the first Generation Evolution pumps and the had a problem with the bearing slipping and the pump starting backwards. The bumper at the front could also fall off. I found these pumps to be too load and the bearing a pain. I tried gluing the bearing and it worked well, I still am using that pump. I replaced my other pump with the newer generation Evolution and it seems much quieter and no backwards starting.

Excluding the price of the arduino which I am going to use for other things I would guess that the box etc cost under $15 with relay.

Right now the only way to change the delay is to re-program the arduino but one day when I have time I might run the delay of a pot so that you can dial the delay.

Foxface, Naso, Coral Beauty, 2 Clowns, 2 Chromis, Orange Anthias, and Striped Goby.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:25 AM

roblarss is on a distinguished road

Thats an interesting project your doing. Im working on a similar arduino project. Currently I have the arduino controlling the temp of my tank, turning my diy leds on/off, with high temp failsafes, turn pumps off for a feed mode and run a ph meter with auto calibration built in.

In the future im looking at making some random flows with solenoids on my closed loop pump.
I love the versatility of these controllers.