Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-24-2011, 09:53 PM

saltcreep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
It is like our hobby, wait until they start on us...
Which is my point. It won't stop at dogs. "Solutions" like the one that is proposed are far too easy to implement yet don't really address the issues.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:43 PM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/HTMLTe...hub=VoteResult
Old 03-24-2011, 10:45 PM

and your point is?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:46 PM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

No point really. Just the results of the CTV poll.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:49 PM

I find it odd how regulating (read prohibit) a legally operating business from selling dogs, yet any person in the city can breed their animals and put adds in newspapers/online. There's something wrong with that.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:56 PM

Of this group that is advocating for the legislation, how many are breeders themselves? If by passing this legislation, would they not stand to financially benefit?

Just sayin'.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:43 PM

howdy20012002 is on a distinguished road

as a "backyard breeder" I thought I would just throw my two cents in.
As far as I am concerned, the more we allow the government to step and regulate all aspects of our lives, the more we are going to regret that in the future.
I personally believe that people should have the right to buy what they want to buy.
I said this last time this topic was brought up, when I was selling my non registered boston puppies and caused a sh*t storm when I dared announce it here.
I have a hard time taking advice on the advocation of pet rights from people who have saltwater fish tanks... If asked, I don't think that the critters and fish would opt to live in our tanks vice the wide open ocean.
We all have these fish for our entertainment, not theirs and in the process we rip apart the ocean and kill untold creatures in the process of getting the stuff to our tanks.
what about the rights of the dead fish, shrimp, corals, snails, etc....
what about the rights of the ones that were once swimming in a vast expanse of water and are now swimming in our 4 feet of ocean.
in my opinion, if you stand on a soapbox, you should be darn sure that the people around you cant kick it out from underneath you.

BTW, I love adding fuel to the fire because I always find these types of conversations enlightening as to how two sides of the argument can both be right (at least in their minds).

Neal
Old 03-25-2011, 05:48 PM

Jamieh is on a distinguished road

Funny you should mention supply and demand. If the paying public did not want Pet Stores to sell puppies then they would not be buying puppies there and this issue would not be discussed. Pet Stores sell puppies because the public wants them to and continues to buy their puppies from these stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Supply and demand bro, currently supply is too high so you go right for testicles and tie a Herculies knot around them. Hurts like hell but effective. If demand becomes too high you loosen the knot a little perhaps allowing regulated breeding. The important thing to remember is yes at first your balls will be blue but eventually they will swing free.... wait what was I talking about again?
Old 03-25-2011, 05:57 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy20012002 View Post
as a "backyard breeder" I thought I would just throw my two cents in.
As far as I am concerned, the more we allow the government to step and regulate all aspects of our lives, the more we are going to regret that in the future.
I personally believe that people should have the right to buy what they want to buy.
I said this last time this topic was brought up, when I was selling my non registered boston puppies and caused a sh*t storm when I dared announce it here.
I have a hard time taking advice on the advocation of pet rights from people who have saltwater fish tanks... If asked, I don't think that the critters and fish would opt to live in our tanks vice the wide open ocean.
We all have these fish for our entertainment, not theirs and in the process we rip apart the ocean and kill untold creatures in the process of getting the stuff to our tanks.
what about the rights of the dead fish, shrimp, corals, snails, etc....
what about the rights of the ones that were once swimming in a vast expanse of water and are now swimming in our 4 feet of ocean.
in my opinion, if you stand on a soapbox, you should be darn sure that the people around you cant kick it out from underneath you.

BTW, I love adding fuel to the fire because I always find these types of conversations enlightening as to how two sides of the argument can both be right (at least in their minds).

Neal
+1, well put!

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 03-25-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
This is the most important part that most people fail to realize.

Quote:
Again, the attention can easily be focused on this hobby.