Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Coral Master

Old 03-20-2011, 11:30 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Walt Smith has been pretty common in the states for a long time just not so much in Canada.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:01 PM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

I dont see the problem with advertising walt smith if you are getting walt smith.....I mean that is what it is.....not so much marketing.

Although I have to say I dont find walt smith corals all that spectacular compared to some other great suppliers....especailly those coming from Australia. I mean they are nice...but not bonkers nice.... probably typical from some of the better suppliers in the region.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:35 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
to echo other's comments, Walt Smith corals and rock have been top quality products for the 10 yrs I've been in the hobby. Haven't heard his name much until recently, but he has always provided top notch products.
they only were real popular for about 2 years then gone as everyone else was using the name and sending out fakes to get the high bucks they could charge for the "Walt smith" name.

realy was a inovative way of growing corals for the market, but common place now.. as for the quality of walt smith, I was never that impressed, they were good corals but no wow factor.. they were mostly about the eco frendly and sustainable methods they used to grow the corals (and the price was set on this part not the look of the coral) . their rock sucked as it was very dense.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.

Last edited by StirCrazy; 03-21-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefermadness View Post
Although I have to say I dont find walt smith corals all that spectacular compared to some other great suppliers.
Ya, that's true today, but 10 years ago you'd be lucky to see an Acro colony with any hint of color coming into Canada. While the stuff posted is nice, today it's just "regular nice", not "wow nice"
Old 03-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Banned

spawn is on a distinguished road

We should all just make sure to do our best at the "good husbandry" of reef keeping to get our wow nice corals & then sell or trade cheap frags, and if they needed to sound fancier we could just apply our own names to each reefers coral's. Sweet... wow nice coral....
Old 03-21-2011, 04:02 PM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
realy was a inovative way of growing corals for the market, but common place now.. as for the quality of walt smith, I was never that impressed, they were good corals but no wow factor..
Quote:
Although I have to say I dont find walt smith corals all that spectacular compared to some other great suppliers....especailly those coming from Australia. I mean they are nice...but not bonkers nice.... probably typical from some of the better suppliers in the region.
Like all suppliers - even those from Australia - there are "regular" corals and "premium" corals. I have seen plenty of corals from down under that were far from spectacular and lots that are amazing. Just because you are not seeing the premium WS stuff doesn't mean it doesn't exsist. I have gotten some "wow" pieces from them (they move fast).

I focus on the "cherry picks" from my supplier instead of just getting in boxes of random corals, it costs a little more but well worth it. Many suppliers won't do that so when they ship their wares the retailers just get what they get.

But then again after all is said & done, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have some corals that excite me that some of my reefer buddies aren't that keen on & visa versa.

Greg

Last edited by Snappy; 03-21-2011 at 04:06 PM.