Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 03-20-2011, 05:49 PM

prodogg02 is on a distinguished road

I wasnt bashing aq i get alot of stuff from there just seems like the fish i get there latly arnt very healthy.i just retested my amonia with an api kit and a io one and they both show 0 ill try to post a pic of the fish .my pj cardnals which came from aq a few years ago ore fine,my marron clown has some white marks on him and my mandrin is fine aswell as all my inverts and coral .i seen the bicolor poo out some big long white thing i thought was a worm but idk.i have had a sw fish for bout 7 years now move my tank 6 times in 5 years once from calgary to edmonton in.-40 weathr and never had anything like this hapen untill i added the clown tang it lookd healthy i not bashing or sayn its anyones falt ecept natures .just want to know what it had so i can get rid of it. also would a uvsterilizer help
Old 03-20-2011, 06:01 PM

Northernseacorals is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodogg02 View Post
I wasnt bashing aq i get alot of stuff from there just seems like the fish i get there latly arnt very healthy.i just retested my amonia with an api kit and a io one and they both show 0 ill try to post a pic of the fish .my pj cardnals which came from aq a few years ago ore fine,my marron clown has some white marks on him and my mandrin is fine aswell as all my inverts and coral .i seen the bicolor poo out some big long white thing i thought was a worm but idk.i have had a sw fish for bout 7 years now move my tank 6 times in 5 years once from calgary to edmonton in.-40 weathr and never had anything like this hapen untill i added the clown tang it lookd healthy i not bashing or sayn its anyones falt ecept natures .just want to know what it had so i can get rid of it. also would a uvsterilizer help
Don't you ever be sorry for expressing your personal opinion, if the administration here does not like members voicing their opinions; then they are in the wrong business of providing a forum.

Seems this site is all to much like a buddy buddy club when it comes to sponsors flipping a monthly bill for advertising and the power of the moderation staff to stifle members when trying to have conversation that pertains to sponsors.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:59 PM

Just had my water tested a two unnamed stores and its fine they think its velvet .
Old 03-20-2011, 09:40 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodogg02 View Post
Just had my water tested a two unnamed stores and its fine they think its velvet .
I was thinking that this might be a case of velvet, I had an episode of it ode and lost lost all but 1 out of 8 fish. It is very hard to cure if not caught early enough.

I am not going to even touch any of the other comments because it does not pertain to what the cause might be.

When my tank was hit with velet I did not add a fish or invert of any kind. It was about 4 months after I bought a complete system and I was still learning about SW so I was not ready to add any thing. Where it came from is still a mystery to me. It might not have come from the new fish at all.

Good luck with the rest of your fish, hope they pull through.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 03-20-2011, 11:04 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

It can come on anything, corals, plants, anything. It can come with the water in the bag of invertebrates, on snails, pretty much anything that is not quarantine. That is why it is wise to quarantine the corals and everything when possible. 8 weeks without fish and the velvet is gone, no need to treat if the tank is fishless. That is why I always put everything in my frag tank for 8 weeks before I put it in my main aquarium. All that is needed to contaminate the tank with velvet is a single cyst that survive. Best way to id the bug would be to examin a scrape of the fish mucus with a simple microscope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
When my tank was hit with velet I did not add a fish or invert of any kind. It was about 4 months after I bought a complete system and I was still learning about SW so I was not ready to add any thing. Where it came from is still a mystery to me. It might not have come from the new fish at all.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernseacorals View Post
Don't you ever be sorry for expressing your personal opinion, if the administration here does not like members voicing their opinions; then they are in the wrong business of providing a forum.

Seems this site is all to much like a buddy buddy club when it comes to sponsors flipping a monthly bill for advertising and the power of the moderation staff to stifle members when trying to have conversation that pertains to sponsors.
Ya seems like i stepd on some toes mentioning names so much drama gotta love it
Old 03-20-2011, 08:25 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Sorry for your losses It is hard enough to see one fish kick it, but to watch your tank go south, that's rough.. It does sound like velvet, or at least a velvet like pathogen. If you do a forum search you'll find a few people here who have had it and have detailed their experiences with it. If it was velvet or something similar the decline and death of the fish could have easily brought down the fragile biosystem

Unfortunately you can not test for Velvet. In hind sight, the only thing you could have done was to QT, observe and possibly treat your clown tang. I realize that there are two camps on the subject. Those who don't QT for good reasons, and those who do QT for good reasons. Deciding which camp is "better" is up to the hobbyist.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:34 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

If you thought the fish didn't look healthy, or if you had issues with other fish from that vendor, why did you add it to your display without quarantining it first?

It's one thing to voice an opinion, it's another to slander a local business because you couldn't be bothered to take the appropriate steps to minimize the risk to your established system.

Maybe from your troubles in february you used some equipment that introduced whatever it was that wiped that tank out into your other tank? Maybe the tank moved destabilised something... doesn't matter how many you've done it before the potential is always there. Or, maybe the new fish introduced something into your tank. But before you go slamming the retailer like you did in your first post ask yourself what steps did you take to minimize the risk. Every vendor, no matter how reputable, can get diseases and parasites in their tanks.

I don't see any "buddy buddy" stuff when it comes to the sponsors here and Mod's stifling discussion. If your post had said "I bought this fish from xxx vendor and it was gasping... they said it was a heavy breathing pufferfish and now it's dead" then yeah, slam the vendor to your hearts content. But when it's "I couldn't be bothered to quarantine a fish before I put it into my display tank and now everything is dead"... then it's nobodies fault but your own, and slamming the vendor is inappropriate. It's common knowledge that very few vendors practice appropriate quarantine methods. Knowing that, you can either quarantine it yourself, or toss the dice and dump it in your display tank.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernseacorals View Post

Gee thanks. Thats very nice of you.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:53 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the losses, dude. I know how yer feelin'.

My guess from the sounds of it is a bactieral infection or velvet.