Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 03-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

really?
by reading this thread you would assume they were quite prolific breeders and would make an ideal specimen for profitable captive propagation.

6$ for a Bangaii?

Where have you seen prices like that?

At those prices, given how easy it reputably is to breed these fish, I would assume they were more than likely captive bred locally, maybe even from a hobbyist as the cost of paying for and shipping a wild caught bangaii would never come in profitably for such a small sum.

Last edited by gobytron; 03-12-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:07 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

It's sad the state of the Banggai cardinalfish and it's native populations being so pressured, although I have been hearing about how pressured it is for a long time, this really isn't anything new.

However I'll go on the record that I don't think a blanket ban of wild-caught Banggai cardinalfish is the answer. As usual there is a lot more than meets the eye.

The Banggai is so-named because the original native range for this fish was around the Banggai Islands near Sulawesi, Indonesia. It is in this spot where the numbers are hugely threatened. However there are now populations of this fish, seemingly thriving, in other areas where, for however reason, it was introduced. And like any introduced non-native species, it is causing problems by outcompeting native species. Ironic. Threatened to the point of extinction in the native stomping grounds in the Banggai island, at the same time causing problems by being too prolific in the Lembeh straight.

So to me, while I fully endorse the notion of a ban on collection from the actual Banggai area, a blanket ban on wild-caught fish doesn't seem like an ideal answer. Why not still allow collection from areas where they don't belong and help mitigate the potential damage being done there?

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/02/25/b...way-from-home/

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/01/04/b...tural-habitat/

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/03/01/i...-cardinalfish/
Old 03-18-2011, 11:13 PM

jd949 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post
really?
by reading this thread you would assume they were quite prolific breeders and would make an ideal specimen for profitable captive propagation.

6$ for a Bangaii?

Where have you seen prices like that?

At those prices, given how easy it reputably is to breed these fish, I would assume they were more than likely captive bred locally, maybe even from a hobbyist as the cost of paying for and shipping a wild caught bangaii would never come in profitably for such a small sum.
+1.

My lfs owner told me it worked out to almost $2-3 per fish tacked on to the cost to ship from a California supplier to Toronto (shipping is probably dependant on quantity of fish too). At $6 per fish retail, i don't know how that could ever even cover shipping for a wild caught, let alone make a profit.