Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-05-2011, 01:15 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

+1 on that. Cerium oxide can only remove very small scratches and if you manage to remove the deeper one you're going to create a magnifying glass effect, very ugly.

It does take a lot of time and effort to remove even just a small scratch. I simply gave up the idea after a while. Most small scratches don't really show when the tank is full of water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultreef View Post
Cerium oxide is the compound used to polish glass. Plus a rotary buff with wool pad. And a lot of elbow grease. Compound is not reef safe!!!

If you can feel the scratch with your nails, then it's gonna be there forever.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:24 AM

Reefpins10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
Yup, nothing you can do

You can drain it, and have someone use a tool to polish, but then you will probably see it still and this can create a weak point.

Scratches are a fact of life when cleaning, just take your time and go slow, making sure you don't catch anything in the cleaning magnet that can cause damage.

Starfire is easier to scratch than normal glass, another reason I myself don't use acrylic or starfire. I would probably commit suicide with the scratches I have seen on these 2 types.

I hope the scratch isn't too big!

I did want to commit suicide when I see how bad it was. I was using the magnetic float to clean the glass, and that stupid thing caught a small piece of coraline algae from the tank. I didn't know that, I kept cleaning up and down on the same area for a few seconds then realized I was made a huge blurry look. It was right in the top right corner of my tank, the scratches are about 2 inches wide and 7 inches long. I can see clearly, but I don't feel the scratches when I touch it. I was thinking if I can empty 1/3 of the tank and use something to fix it, instead of removing the whole thing inside.
Thanks Sphelps, I will call J&L about this product. And thanks everybody for your quick responses. It really touched me when I know whenever I need help, there is always somebody here to help me. Thanks a lot you guys.