Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-22-2011, 03:09 AM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

Hi Brad

Your fish problems sound very simaler to what I went through last November.

Hopefully you will get to the bottom of it very quickly.

Tom R
Old 02-22-2011, 03:16 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Oh Crap! Sorry to hear this Brad. I know it hasn't been long but has Freckles shown any signs of improving since treatment? Any idea yet what the lesions are?
It has only been 24 hrs in iso treatment. It is difficult to see for sure if he is improving or not...but he seems no worse than yesterday. He won't eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by es355lucille View Post
Hi Brad....I have been trying to keep up on your thread. Could the lesions be from an attack from something in your tank? I see you say your Christmas wrasse died....(sorry).......no marks on the fish at all? Have a close look at everything....snails and other things in your tank.....does everything look ok?

Brad
No, it is not a wound or injury. The wrasse didn't look too good in general when I found him, so I could not see any obvious cause of death. He didn't have any visible marks 24 hrs earlier. Everything else seems fine.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 02-22-2011, 05:34 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I don't know what to say or suggest other than I really hope for the best here.. Good luck.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:22 AM

fishguynad is on a distinguished road

Wow!! Awesome read on the build buddy!! All the ups and downs and and craziness! I laughed, i cried, it was an emotional rollercoaster!!
Alrighty, back to sick fishes. This is only my second post on here btw! Hi all im new around here and soon i will post pucs of my craziness!!
Brad are you giving your fishes vitamins? Ie garlic and vit b? I know there is a good product you can feed from zeovit. Its like cold fx butt for our fishies. I think there is something about tangs and copper that dont quite mix butt i would have to double check and the last i heard you have to fw dip for like 10 or so minutes to cure. They also say its harder on the owner then the fish when you do it!! Are you running uv on your system? It might be something to look into quickly before things start falling apart fast. Good luck with your fish, you have a few of my fav's and cant wait to share pictures with everyone!!
Old 02-24-2011, 01:06 AM

I don't add vitamins or anything to my feeding. I'll consider starting that.

I have a UV sterilizer, but it isn't tied into my system at the moment. I may FW dip Freckles this weekend.

So far, Freckles seems unchanged... But it is hard to say because I can't see him as well in the hospital tank. Meanwhile, my small Naso seems to have beaten it, because his lesion has almost disappeared. He did not receive any treatment and has remained in the main display. No other fish affected (so far).
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

Old 02-24-2011, 01:12 AM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

Is Freckles still doing the panicked swimming action?

Old 02-24-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchM View Post
Is Freckles still doing the panicked swimming action?
He is not able to swim much at all in his current situation. That sump is only 1/4 the area of his usual home!

Old 02-26-2011, 05:16 AM

Default Freckles makes a comeback?

Freckles was in the medicated sump for 5 days. In the sump, it was difficult to see if the affected areas of his skin where improving or not. I could reach into the sump and roll him onto his sides in order to see how things looked, but it wasn't easy and he didn't like the handling much. (I learned that the dorsal and ventral spines of Naso tangs are REALLY sharp!)

Today, he seemed interested in food for the first time in a week. So I decided to move him back into the main display tank. A few hours later, he ate pretty well during regular feeding time. (He's still not quite himself though...not as assertive with the food as he was previously)

One week ago photo...

Here's how he looks now. Although this looks like some sort of injury, I assure you that it is not. I'm assuming that these marks will go away now with some more time and that he has beaten whatever that was.

So...the question is... Did I save him by medicating him in the sump? Or did he just naturally fight off whatever that was just as snaller Naso did in the main display? I suppose I don't really care, I'm just happy that he seems to have made it.

Last edited by untamed; 02-26-2011 at 05:19 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:22 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Good to hear. Hope the upward trend continues..
Old 02-26-2011, 07:35 AM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

I think he looks better.
Without being able to identify if it even was a bacteria that was affecting him, you'll never know, but if it was, he had to be isolated in order for the antibiotic to work given the size of your tank.
I thought the antibiotic treatment was required for 10 days?

Good to see.