Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-21-2011, 03:49 AM

wehtam is on a distinguished road
Red face Pumps too powerful?

Hey guys. Have a RSM130, with two maxijet1200. Wondering if they are too powerful cause when I turn them both on the water level drops and there is a ton of air bubbles coming through. Iv tried to add water but then the level in the display gets too high... And tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, mat

Edit: nevermind. Changed the media filter and all seems well...

Last edited by wehtam; 02-21-2011 at 04:03 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:00 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

Are the pumps touching the top of the water resulting in air bubbles? Maybe a picture might help...

Last edited by Wayne; 02-21-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:18 AM

Reef-Geek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehtam View Post
Hey guys. Have a RSM130, with two maxijet1200. Wondering if they are too powerful cause when I turn them both on the water level drops and there is a ton of air bubbles coming through. Iv tried to add water but then the level in the display gets too high... And tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, mat

Edit: nevermind. Changed the media filter and all seems well...
Yes 2 mj1200 are too powerful, Two Mj 900 should be ok and I recommend to use 2 eheims 600
Old 02-21-2011, 11:16 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

are you still running the filter pads????get rid of them if you are.... also lose the media under the pumps and use a small amount of rubble instead....

the bag of media under the pumps is a detrius trap and it really slows the flow down... so does the white polishing pad above the carbon.... also you could try to remove the gate on the overflow....

the problem with the rsm is that the returns are placed too high... you could also try to extend the intake on the maxi jets farther down so its drawing water form the bottom instead of nearly surface level...

i had a rsm for almost 2 years and finally grew to love the thing...

just saw your edit... i stand by what i said... get rid of the media in the return section..
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Last edited by ElGuappo; 02-21-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:20 PM

es355lucille is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to es355lucille
Smile

+1 on what ElGuappo says. Owned one of these tanks myself.....was a great little tank.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51996

Photobucket
Old 02-21-2011, 06:15 PM

wehtam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuappo View Post
are you still running the filter pads????get rid of them if you are.... also lose the media under the pumps and use a small amount of rubble instead....

the bag of media under the pumps is a detrius trap and it really slows the flow down... so does the white polishing pad above the carbon.... also you could try to remove the gate on the overflow....

the problem with the rsm is that the returns are placed too high... you could also try to extend the intake on the maxi jets farther down so its drawing water form the bottom instead of nearly surface level...

i had a rsm for almost 2 years and finally grew to love the thing...

just saw your edit... i stand by what i said... get rid of the media in the
return section..
I have the "In Tank" media rack. That has 3 levels; top has the filter pad, middle has carbon and the bottom has roa-phos.

There is nothing under the pumps except a couple pieces of rubble. Should j stil remove the filter pad or just change it out more often?