Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 02-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I'm not sure about the CFM issue. I'm doing ALL the tank related stuff (tub and venting) after my basement is 'done' and approved by the city.

Makes me wonder...if I add this stuff on later and there was a fire...they find abs drain pipe, laundry tun and a venting fan not in my plans...am i no further ahead with the insurance company? maybe i still would not be covered?

How many gallons are you planning on?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:47 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Hard to say. Just don't have a fire or flood, I guess, so that we don't have to find out. That said, you're not going to get a fire caused by the sink in any case (one would think anyhow! ), it's the electrical I'd be more concerned about.

Last edited by Delphinus; 02-10-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:18 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Have a large room mechanical room as well that's doubling as a fish room. It's great with the floor drain, laundry sink and the top of the deep freeze is a good for a fragging table.

Though don't have a problem with humidity have noticed after 5 years getting some salt deposits on the furnace ducting that's over the sump (hot only, not the return).
Old 02-11-2011, 01:22 AM

golf nut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Planning a large size aquarium for the basement of my new house. I was hoping to build an in wall tank with the tank being located in an over sized mechanical room (with furnace, water tank, electrical box, ect.). I will be getting a framing, electrical and final building inspection and I'm just thinking if this tank will be against building code. I know I could add the tank after inspection but would prefer to keep everything 100% legit for resale. I'd ask my inspector but my faith in him is deteriorating by the day, so far I've gotten better advice from this site.

What do you think might give you issues?
Old 02-11-2011, 05:44 AM

Pansy-Paws is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchM View Post
If you're concerned about everything being legit for resale, I would pay extra attention to moisture control and ventilation.
I had 4 or 500 gallons in my last house basement with an HRV. When we went to move I found that there was a salt residue on all the light fixtures and corrosion had started to show up on the brass components of some light fixtures, plus on some copper sculptures.

It was a house built in the 1960's, and you're in a new house, but still something to watch out for.
I would concur with Mitch on paying particular attention to moisture and ventilation. Our fish room adjoins our mechanical room, and some of the duct work in the mechanical room has rust spots after five years. I've also fought condensation on the cold water pipes (take care if the electrical box will be cold from an outside wall)

Our tank http://www.pansy-paws.com/aquarium/

29 gallon nano-tank
Old 02-11-2011, 01:34 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I'm not too worried about moisture, the sump will be sealed and the lighting canopy will completely seal the open top of the tank and then the canopy will be vented outside. I will also likely opt for concrete backerboard around the tank in the mechanical room side as appose to standard drywall. My concerns about building code are related to having a large body of water next to the electrical panel, I wasn't sure if this was an issue. Also if you're allowed to have an exhaust vent in the mechanical room, perhaps this can potentially cause a negative pressure situation more easily due to the location. I know you're limited to around 200cfm on other exhaust fans in the house unless you interlock, I will not be exceeding this by any means however the duty cycle will be higher than say a bathroom fan and again the proximity of furnace may also play a role. I guess what I could do is drill two holes in the side of the house and use one for exhaust and one for make up so the canopy is vented without using air from inside the house. However then I have to wonder if that will be acceptable, I know fire code limits you to so many openings on the side of the house, this particular side already has two large windows from above, a bathroom vent, cold air intake for furnace, two vents for furnace burner, vent for water heater burner, dryer vent, and exhaust vent. It already looks like Swiss cheese, could be a problem adding more vents.

As for tank size we're planning in the range of 1000 to 1500 gallons depending on the final basement layout, most likely will be approximately 10 feet long, 6 feet wide and 3 feet tall. Will be only viewable from one side.

Thanks for the input folks!

Last edited by sphelps; 02-11-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:02 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

I have a copy of both the building code and electrical code if you need to see a particular section.
I could email you a PDF if you know what section of the code you want clarification on.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

That's exactly what I'm doing... feeding my canopy with a fresh air duct. I plan to vent my tank and fishroom tho as I'm not a fan of lids on tanks.

Those are big tank plans considering you're relocating to Australia soon =)

Last edited by lastlight; 02-11-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:16 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
That's exactly what I'm doing... feeding my canopy with a fresh air duct. I plan to vent my tank and fishroom tho as I'm not a fan of lids on tanks.

Those are big tank plans considering you're relocating to Australia soon =)
Haha that's my brothers car, he already moved to Australia and left all his crap with me to deal with. I just bought a new house so I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:16 AM

golf nut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post

As for tank size we're planning in the range of 1000 to 1500 gallons depending on the final basement layout, most likely will be approximately 10 feet long, 6 feet wide and 3 feet tall. Will be only viewable from one side.

Thanks for the input folks!
I would be inclined to epoxy the walls and then just flood the whole thing... J/K

Are you building in concrete with one viewable pane or building a complete tank with just one side viewable?