Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-12-2011, 04:31 AM

DJ_drew is on a distinguished road
Default Drews 400!

Well as some of you may know i recently purchased Jason Mck's 400 gallon former tank of the month!

its 6'6 Lx 36Wx 30H all glass, the only problem with the tank is the eurobracing is cracked, but i was assured by Jason and the tank manufacturer that the width of the glass is overkill for even a tank this size

The tank came drilled for a closed loop which is great because it saves me money on powerheads, it also came with an OM 4way for the closed loop

So we got the tank home on the only day its been sunny here in about 3weeks so we got lucky! but we got it back to my house and getting in the back yard one of the guys sliced his hand open on the euro-bracing so we had to stop and leave it there, so it has been sitting in the back yard now for a week.

so here it sits!
Trying to find people to come over and help me move it is ridiculously hard once people know how big the tank actually is and the fact it weighs about 1400 pounds dry
lol
What makes it even more difficult is the bulkheads on either end i dont wanna take off as it would cost me more then just moving it as is so im thinking of standing it up on end on blocks and then putting an industrial 2 wheel dolly under it and moving it that way, dun dun dun and now the hard part
down 2 small sets of stairs and around a corner in between the 2!

heres a couple more pics of the tank

now the reasoning behind the upgrade!
i had a 300 in the past and had to tear it down due to financial difficulty and down graded to a 125
well now that things are looking better i found a smokin deal on this tank so i couldnt pass it up
the 125 is now in my spare room with all the fish in hyposalinity to get rid of the small amount of ich in the tank (only affects the powder tangs)

this is the 125 thats being used as a temporary home for the fish, and believe me they are not to happy about it but they are troopers. I've had most of them including the naso and sohal since they were smaller then 2 inches

More to follow!

Drew
Old 01-12-2011, 04:42 AM

KevinK is on a distinguished road

depending what your situation is, it should be pouseble to move it with only 2

you only need help with the lift

when I put my 350 in, I made a dolly where the tank was on, roled it to the stand and jacked the dolly one side at a time to the levvle of the stand

I did this with my wife, and eventually we slided the tank from the dolly onto the stand with the 2 of us.

as mentioned, it depends how you have it, but I se you still need to lift it onto something, I had mine put on the dolly with a fork lift and roled it in a trailer

ohhh, we had to take the wall out so the dolly fit !!

wish you all the best, when you dont se the light anymore, think how nice this one will be,

I'm already thinking and gathering things for a 5.5 feet square

Last edited by Chin_Lee; 01-14-2011 at 02:22 AM. Reason: mod removed "quote" of entire prev message
Old 01-12-2011, 04:49 AM

DJ_drew is on a distinguished road

haha if only it were that simple it has to go down 4 stairs and through 2 doorways then onto the stand
hence why i need help moving it
lol
for anyone interested im recruiting for help moving it in the next 48 hours because of the snow!
if u live in the coquitlam port coquitlam area and like free pizza and beer and fishtanks! let me know, we could totally use the help!!

Drew
Old 01-12-2011, 04:51 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

It's too bad I'm not closer. Most people around here know I'm HUGE and could likely lift this thing alone. Best of luck Drew.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_drew View Post
haha if only it were that simple it has to go down 4 stairs and through 2 doorways then onto the stand
hence why i need help moving it
lol
for anyone interested im recruiting for help moving it in the next 48 hours because of the snow!
if u live in the coquitlam port coquitlam area and like free pizza and beer and fishtanks! let me know, we could totally use the help!!

Drew
that is in deed a big big bummer,

sorry I'm free but in victoria
Old 01-12-2011, 05:18 AM

Trabby is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
It's too bad I'm not closer. Most people around here know I'm HUGE and could likely lift this thing alone. Best of luck Drew.
Totally.... You should run out there and help him.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:48 PM

04scoobysti is on a distinguished road

I can help if you need it. LMK.

Derek
Old 01-12-2011, 04:23 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

Nice tank!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:42 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04scoobysti View Post
I can help if you need it. LMK.

Derek
Derek's not much help... hes too skinny.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:22 PM

Default crack in bracing

cant se the crack in the bracing, where is it.

I had mine cracked as well right in the middel (2 years back), I went to get a strip of 12 mm glass (about 20 inches long and the with of the bracing, cleand the hel out of the bracing and silicone'd it on there, never a problem

watch out when you work in the tank, when you hang over to put things in ore maintain, you always lean, no matter what, unless you have the tank on the floor.

it is the leaning against it that cracks it (ore the belly hanging over it)

what I would sugest is to make a 2x6 frame around the tank on its flat side, to avoid the presure on the edge