Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-07-2011, 09:03 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Just curious but are you doing a strict quarantine each time you introduce something? Because that's definitly more important to keep fish healthy than 50 gallons difference in a tank.

I know a lot of people who don't give a darn about ich and let the fish burst in ich here and there and say "it's nothing, it will go away on its own" and those same people are almost dropping dead if they see a 3" baby tang in a 90 gallons tank. I bet the tang in the 90 gallons tank that does not have harrassing parasite and ich burst is a LOT more happy and healthy than the one in the 180 gallons full of ich harrassing it each day (weather you see white spots or not).

I have seen blue hippo tang with horrible deformation due to HLLE and that was in a big 150 gallons tank. Obviously the fish was underfed or not fed the proper food.

A lot of people will not care much for this but will be heal over head for an aquarium size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonT View Post
Sure I am, but in my tank, I have setup the tank to keep my fish healthy. I would bet your tanks are setup in the best interests of the inhabitants your looking to put in there.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:07 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

nah...the fish are more intelligent than you think and they do learn to feel comfortable in an aquarium. My fish got the routine right and they pretty much know the feeding hours and come right at the spot to get fed. They learn to trust us, as well as they learn to trust their environment with time. That is if there is no aggressive fish in there that harras another fish to death, then the fish will be relaxed and learn that they can't be harmed there.

At leat that is from my own observation of my fish. At the begining they are scared and skittish but with a few weeks they get really relaxed. I think with time they get the idea and the stress of being eated goes away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I don't think the fish know that there aren't any sharks behind the rock, so the normal stress of trying to avoid being eaten is still there.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:12 PM

Magma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
nah...the fish are more intelligent than you think and they do learn to feel comfortable in an aquarium. My fish got the routine right and they pretty much know the feeding hours and come right at the spot to get fed. They learn to trust us, as well as they learn to trust their environment with time. That is if there is no aggressive fish in there that harras another fish to death, then the fish will be relaxed and learn that they can't be harmed there.

At leat that is from my own observation of my fish. At the begining they are scared and skittish but with a few weeks they get really relaxed. I think with time they get the idea and the stress of being eated goes away.

I think the same way, when you put a new fish into the tank, they hide and dont show there face much, I put in a Royal Gramma and didnt see him for a week, but he slowly started to show his face more and more and now hes fine with me sticking my arms in tank to move corals or whatever needs to be done...

They get used to the captivity now if that lowers the stress of the fish who knows but I think its still there primal instinct to watch there back..
Old 01-07-2011, 09:19 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

I just knew this article would bring out some some good stuff.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post

I just knew this article would bring out some some good stuff.
is there an online copy of this article? sounds like a good read.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
is there an online copy of this article? sounds like a good read.
I'm not sure, but I'll look into it.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
nah...the fish are more intelligent than you think
I don't know about that, my Border Collies are way smarter than my fish and they're still convinced that there are grizzlies in the backyard
Old 01-07-2011, 09:38 PM

Here you go. I think this works.

http://p0.vresp.com/bDvvro
Old 01-07-2011, 09:43 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

I would say that given that the aquarium trade removes about 1/1 millionth of the fish from the ocean that the commercial fishing industry does every year, and the damage we do to reefs by removing coral absolutely pales in comparison to the damage drag net fishing, or dynamite fishing, or cyanide fishing does to the reefs of the world, that the ethics of how damaging this hobby is to global ecosystems is a totally mute point if anyone here eats tuna.

Reefs in places that have something to gain from having a steady supply of healthy corals and fish to export to the aquarium trade and regulate it accordingly (Australia and Hawaii for starters) can actually benefit from an active aquarium trade. True not all places are like that, but that's why my elegance coral is Australian and not from the Philippines. Most species of fish on reefs reproduce in numbers greater than the niche market of the aquarium trade could really make a dent in, and in the cases where that's not true, it's usually the research that happens as a result of the aquarium trade that helps us find that out.

As for the ethics of keeping animals in glass boxes - that's always going to be a matter of opinion, but one would think that everyone here had to come to peace with that little conundrum by now.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Here you go. I think this works.

http://p0.vresp.com/bDvvro
http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/cont...refuse-confess

Full article there :P