Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-30-2010, 07:49 PM

Maverick00 is on a distinguished road

Well after posting here i decided to rip the skimmer out and give it another wash. i had it running in the sink for over an hour with water vinegar combination, then another hour with freshwater. After rinsing/cleaning it out for a final time i dried it off and reassembled it and hung it back on the tank. Still nothing. I called up the LFS i bought it from and was told i could try adjusting the height of the pump which would change the microbubbles in the skimmer. After another week of playing around with it i dont see any difference whatsoever. I was told by the LFS there would be a restocking fee or they'll let me upgrade to a remora pro for just the added cost of the skimmer. Does anyone that use the pro model see sludge accumulate in the collection cup or just the tea colored water like alot of people seem to find? Im not sure what to do here, return the remoras and hook back up my coralife SS or does anyone have a better upgrade recommendation from the coralife SS in the same price range as the remora? Thanks for the replies.

- 33 Gal - 20Gal Sump, MP10/Hydor Powerheads, Aquaticlife 4x T-5HO, Vertex IN100, TLF w/Biopellets, Tunze ATO

-45GAL Build in Progress!-
Old 12-30-2010, 08:07 PM

Abe is on a distinguished road

Actually I have the rumora C pro, I have changed the pump and the distance of it to the PS but still the only thing I get is tea like water, I am planing for a replacement. any suggestions?
230G, 3 X 250w MH , 4x 39w t5 , about 200lbs of LR, 2" of LS bed, 2 maroon clowns hosting a RLTA, 1 regal tang and 1 yellow tang, 1 blonde neso tang, 1 coral beauty, 2 scunk clowns hosting a GBTA, 1 midas blenny, and a mandarin gopy, 6 blue green chromis and 1 six line wrass.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:25 PM

Magma is on a distinguished road

this is discouraging to read as I just bought this yesterday for about 199$ and it does make a noise when it injects into the system kinda annoying to hear because its in out living room, and it took all night but im getting some nice thick bubbles now, just a matter of waiting to see if i get tea colour water or not.

I had the red sea prizm (i know horrible) but it pulled a thick paste almost...
Old 12-30-2010, 08:34 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick00 View Post
Well after posting here i decided to rip the skimmer out and give it another wash. i had it running in the sink for over an hour with water vinegar combination, then another hour with freshwater. After rinsing/cleaning it out for a final time i dried it off and reassembled it and hung it back on the tank. Still nothing. I called up the LFS i bought it from and was told i could try adjusting the height of the pump which would change the microbubbles in the skimmer. After another week of playing around with it i dont see any difference whatsoever. I was told by the LFS there would be a restocking fee or they'll let me upgrade to a remora pro for just the added cost of the skimmer. Does anyone that use the pro model see sludge accumulate in the collection cup or just the tea colored water like alot of people seem to find? Im not sure what to do here, return the remoras and hook back up my coralife SS or does anyone have a better upgrade recommendation from the coralife SS in the same price range as the remora? Thanks for the replies.
As far as I know the only difference between the standard and Pro Remora is the pump size. Mine was a Pro with a mag 3 pump and like I described in my earlier post, it was not a stellar performer for me. Back to counter current wooden air stone. I didn't want to pipe in on the whole washing thing earlier, but doesn't that negate the so called 'break in' process that's supposed to make a skimmer work better?

And your LFS wants to charge you what for an upgrade to Pro? Find yourself a used mag 3 pump and voila, you have a Pro, with the added noise a bigger pump will make on that thing. You'll probably have better results at a lower cost modifying your super skimmer with more air stones or something.

Last edited by mike31154; 12-30-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:13 PM

mws is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick00 View Post

Why would you worry about it on a 33gal tank. You don't want your water completely striped anyways. Put in on and forget it. The longer it's there the better it will perform.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:34 PM

Maverick00 is on a distinguished road

sry magma let me know how the break in goes with yours, i hope you have better luck. i found the noise did go down slightly in a couple weeks, but a sponge some kind covering the injector compartment makes a night and day difference.

@mike31154 yeah thats a good call mike, ill ask around here to see if i can find a stronger pump

@mws i wasnt aware i could overskim?

ive thrown my old SS for the time being and im already seeing minor sludge buildup. i also started seeing some hair algae showing up recently, i cant really blame it on the remora as i knew it was under a break in period but out comes the phosban reactor to hopefully axe this new issue.

- 33 Gal - 20Gal Sump, MP10/Hydor Powerheads, Aquaticlife 4x T-5HO, Vertex IN100, TLF w/Biopellets, Tunze ATO

-45GAL Build in Progress!-
Old 12-30-2010, 09:40 PM

Magma is on a distinguished road

yah I noticed the injector makes a lot of noise even when I asked like 5 times "is this a loud skimmer?" and answer was no no really quiet etc.

Hope it calms down once it breaks in and I think I will try and find some foam to stick in there now.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:06 PM

tuck is on a distinguished road

I was happy with my remora skimmer and I had it running for a year and a half. It took a long time to break in, 2-3 weeks. After adding anything to the water, food, epoxy, garlic, conditioner, ect. it took an hour or so to kick back in. I got a nasty really strong coffee looking stuff in the collection cup.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:21 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Actually one thing that may improve the Remora's performance if you're not using it already, is a surface skimmer or pre skimmer box, particularly if your unit is hanging in the display. This will ensure the water going into the skimmer is being pulled from near the surface where most of the proteins tend to collect. Pretty sure Remora sells the skimmer box, but it's huge and when I was using the Remora, I simply used one of those $20 bobbing surface skimmer thingys available at virtually any LFS. Hook the pump intake to this little device and there's an adjustment lever down the center that allows you to tweak how much water is drawn from the surface. The lower section of the device will also take in some water and is a bit of a fail safe in case the bobber screws up, I think. Not as clunky and intrusive as Remora's box and probably a little less efficient.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...t_ID=pf-acpskm

I also need to correct a statement made in an earlier post. Just noticed on JL site that the Pro is a few inches longer and an inch wider than the standard model. My bad, sorry for the misinformation. You can still get a larger pump for the standard Remora if you wish though.

Last edited by mike31154; 12-31-2010 at 04:31 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:00 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws View Post
Why would you worry about it on a 33gal tank. You don't want your water completely striped anyways. Put in on and forget it. The longer it's there the better it will perform.
I agree on this one with a small footprint why even bother doing a 5 gal change is huge to a 33 gal, or a 10 gal change. Doing a 5 gal change every week will cancel out anything bad. If you seriously want to know.