Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-21-2010, 06:57 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
Everyone has to make a living, unfortunately I don't really see us having the power to drop it down and Ecotech will most likely release a shortage of them to ensure they are purchased at that price. Like all new things I'm sure once the hype comes down, so will the price.
No its more or less canadian companies aren't changing prices of produces due to the dollar change. They know they can buy the product for cheap and sell it for what they have always been selling it for without to many people noticing. For instance, the power modual. A usa company is selling it for almost $200 cheaper, yet even with the dollar change our canadian companies won't budge on their prices.

As much as I prefer supporting our canadian companies, if I can save $100 on something after shipping and duties guess where my business will go

shoes are another thing for me. I can get a set for $50-80 cheaper in the usa
Old 10-21-2010, 07:42 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

I agree with you that it isn't at all right and that this will cause some orders from the states for sure but it's not the retailers who provide the MSRP.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...threadid=69107

That shows the Canadian MSRP to be $699, retailers really don't have the power to undercut this as at that point they start stepping on other retailers feet which causes problems for Ecotech.

Even if our dollar is worth more companies in the states still have power over us, I would attribute that to the fact that there are 20 million people in Canada and 320 million people in the states.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Actually that shows the msrp to be $799 and was what prompted me to post =)
Old 10-21-2010, 09:15 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Actually that shows the msrp to be $799 and was what prompted me to post =)
WOW I didn't read that properly at all, really makes me wonder why it takes an extra $100.00 to get each unit up to us considering they are smaller than a basketball. Perhaps a certain distributor could chime in to explain this to us *cough* Reefwholesale *cough*.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:46 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
WOW I didn't read that properly at all, really makes me wonder why it takes an extra $100.00 to get each unit up to us considering they are smaller than a basketball. Perhaps a certain distributor could chime in to explain this to us *cough* Reefwholesale *cough*.
its the those damn french instructions. they have to be printed on with gold ink on platinum laced paper

on a side note - I do enjoy living by the US border . MP10es goes for $265 + tax here... i can get em for $185 US if i drive 45 minutes. 36" t5 bulbs are like $30ish each here... $19 in the states. JL aquatics has some decent prices though. Havent found another retailer that is as competitive though . Its there loss in the end - I still get all my parts
Old 10-21-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Perhaps a certain distributor could chime in to explain this to us *cough* Reefwholesale *cough*.
I wouldn't mind hearing a distributers standpoint either

why are canadian costs such a difference? If the dollar keeps acting like how it has I am just going to be ordering all my equipment online from the states soon. eg. if I can save $200 on powerheads and $150 on other stuff that buys me a nice set of LR
Old 10-22-2010, 05:30 AM

Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenz0 View Post
I wouldn't mind hearing a distributers standpoint either

The story I got when purchasing my camera gear was that the prices are set by the distributers and they can't go around them to get cheaper pricing else where other wise they loose their distributership.

Statistically the US has 10x the population of Canada in a smaller area, so they can get better deals since they cover a broader sales base.
I still dont buy it.
67 Gallon Mixed Reef, Modular LED Lights

Send in the Clowns - Clown Fish Breeding
5 Gallon Fry Hatchery and 15 Gallon Clown Grow Out Tank
Old 10-22-2010, 01:14 PM

See thats what I have been told as well, which is believable

With the change in dollar for instance, the aftermarket car parts (wheels, exhaust...) destroyed a few local companies that weren't willing to comply with the change in currency that ended up destroying the business. People just started ordering stuff online cause they could save like $300 at least once the product got to them.

I'm just saying that once I start collecting for my new build, If I can save money somewhere i'm going to do it
Old 10-22-2010, 04:20 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

WANT

Old 10-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

You don't have one in your parts pile in the basement?! The HORROR!