Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-09-2010, 11:03 PM

Devonious is on a distinguished road
Default Spawing Coral

So i was doing a water change today and i noticed little tiny white balls with polyps extending looks like little pocillopora's!

There attached to my Coraline algae on the back wall and on my live rock, i did not know coral spawning in captivity was possible.

I will take photos when i get home.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:12 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Pocillopora regenerate quite readily in the aquarium. Marie had given me a baby that was growing on her coralline. I've since had two babies grow on my overflow. I'm not sure how they get there from the mother colony; whether from an actual spawn or polyps disengaging from the colony and resettling somewhere else. I lean toward polyp movement rather than spawning. Just a guess though.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Pocillopora regenerate quite readily in the aquarium. Marie had given me a baby that was growing on her coralline. I've since had two babies grow on my overflow. I'm not sure how they get there from the mother colony; whether from an actual spawn or polyps disengaging from the colony and resettling somewhere else. I lean toward polyp movement rather than spawning. Just a guess though.
I was leaning toward polyp movement, but their scattered though out the tank. When polyp movement happen does it form a perfect round ball on the bottom?
Old 10-10-2010, 12:00 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonious View Post
I was leaning toward polyp movement, but their scattered though out the tank. When polyp movement happen does it form a perfect round ball on the bottom?

I don't really know. When I discovered the baby Poccis they had already grown to the size of a peanut.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:17 AM

Heres some pics its hard to get photos because their so small but i have noticed different colored ones now.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:27 AM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

I think they throw off the occasional polyps, which in turn settle and start to grow, I bought a small one about 12 years ago, only lasted a month or so, was fine one day and bare skeleton the next, shortly there after I had them popping up everywhere, to this day my tank is full of little ones, when they get bigger I either give them away or turn them into reactor media, left one alone once and it grew to the size of a basketball.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:50 AM

WOW i dont think any of my coral can grow that size without breaking my tank. Too bad my other corals dont do this....
Old 10-10-2010, 04:35 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I've got the same thing going on in my tank from a pocillopora that I got from Reefer Rob (happened in his tank too). They've kind of becoming a pest... In most cases my other coral can out compete them for space but they are encroaching on a few colonies. They're also really hard to chip off of the rock in most places. My favorites though are the ones growing up at the surface of the water on my plumbing returns. I'll try and get a picture sometime.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour