Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 09-21-2010, 03:44 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

Thats good news! Did you try anything that made an improvement? Or did it just work itself out?
Old 09-21-2010, 04:44 PM

Capt_kulafu is on a distinguished road

my clown is Rest in Peace....
Old 09-21-2010, 06:12 PM

kevNnic is on a distinguished road

lol i think he speaks backwards, lol most likely meaning his fish is most definetly dead.

sorry to hear that.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:07 PM
bvlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_kulafu View Post
my clown is Rest in Peace....
sorry to hear this news I got it right off. anyway you will probably have to wait a week or two before adding anything to your tank let it sort it self out first. Then get a damsel to make sure the water is safe do not add another fish for a week then you can add 1 or 2 fish no more. You have to wait for a bit in between adding fish so the bio filter can adjust to the new bio load. after the tank is up and running again you can even add a soft coral like a Xenia or some Zoe's.

Bill
Old 09-21-2010, 10:33 PM

Capt_kulafu is on a distinguished road

thanks bill for info!!!
Old 09-27-2010, 04:00 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

good news??? Rest in Peace??? RIP? never saw this? it means it's dead..forever resting. you know...

How is that good news?

Don't buy any other fish until your cycle is finish fully. I beleive your fish died from ammonia poisoning. Keep some Seachem Prime to detoxify ammonia if you ever have some and get a ammonia test kit. At high PH amonia is very toxic in very short time. Also next time you leave, prepair premesured portion of food for your friend to give so that way he'll not be able to overfeed. When I leave I give my friend little boxes with the right amount of food for each day and a full sheet of written instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Thats good news! Did you try anything that made an improvement? Or did it just work itself out?

Last edited by daniella3d; 09-27-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:18 PM

ALang is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your Clownfish.
When I go on vacation, my Mom or my 19 year-old son tries to help. I always either have my fish food on auto-feeder (always have it dispense a little less food than what I usually feed, just in case), or prior to buying one of those auto- feeder, I have those little pill cups that you can buy from dollarstore, 5 for $1, and I pre-measure food in there for them to feed the fish. Again, less food than what I normally feed. The fish won't starve if it is only a week or two. There should be some pods in your tank (if it is mature enough) for the fish to browse on.
A large air pump is handy for situation like that, too, to add more oxygen into your tank, and lots of water changes, suctioning the sand a bit. The Prime water conditioner help to bind up Ammonia, Nitrate, etc immediately until you can get to the water changes, as well.
Usually I relax during my vacation, until I think about my reef tank, then I have a slight panic attack, until more rum goes through my system to help me relax again. This is probably why the rum consumption goes up as the vacation continues...
Good luck to you.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:54 PM

I put a web cam on my aquarium when I got on vacation and I check it few times per day. The sort of help me get peace of mind while I am away.

Prime is good but be carefull as it stain T-shirt the say way javel water do. I am not sure why it only does this to t-shirts, no other clothes. Took me a while to understand that all these white spots on my nice t-shirts were coming from Prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALang View Post
Sorry to hear about your Clownfish.
When I go on vacation, my Mom or my 19 year-old son tries to help. I always either have my fish food on auto-feeder (always have it dispense a little less food than what I usually feed, just in case), or prior to buying one of those auto- feeder, I have those little pill cups that you can buy from dollarstore, 5 for $1, and I pre-measure food in there for them to feed the fish. Again, less food than what I normally feed. The fish won't starve if it is only a week or two. There should be some pods in your tank (if it is mature enough) for the fish to browse on.
A large air pump is handy for situation like that, too, to add more oxygen into your tank, and lots of water changes, suctioning the sand a bit. The Prime water conditioner help to bind up Ammonia, Nitrate, etc immediately until you can get to the water changes, as well.
Usually I relax during my vacation, until I think about my reef tank, then I have a slight panic attack, until more rum goes through my system to help me relax again. This is probably why the rum consumption goes up as the vacation continues...
Good luck to you.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:56 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
I put a web cam on my aquarium when I got on vacation and I check it few times per day. The sort of help me get peace of mind while I am away.

Prime is good but be carefull as it stain T-shirt the say way javel water do. I am not sure why it only does this to t-shirts, no other clothes. Took me a while to understand that all these white spots on my nice t-shirts were coming from Prime.

webcam interesting concept
Old 10-02-2010, 11:11 PM

It's very easy to set up. I put my notebook in front of the aquarium with a web cam and a web cam server software. I use Yawcam server, very easy to configure.

I have Telus mobility and the unlimited web access cost 10$ per month, so I can check my aquarium on my cell phone where ever there is cell phone service, so pretty much everywhere I go since Telus has a good coverage here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
webcam interesting concept