Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics hardware related only)

Old 09-07-2010, 08:07 PM

axe_man16 is on a distinguished road
Default Lighting options

I am trying to do some planning for my next aquarium...I want to start with just a FOWLR tank for a year or so until my tank is good and ready to start adding coral. I have a 75 gallon tank and will be adding a 40 gallon sump.

I really don't want to fork out $1000 for a light so i looked on ebay and found a couple that might be ok. I was hoping someone had experience with these two fixtures. The ebay seller has a very good reputation, but that doesn’t mean the lights are any good.

Let me know what you think (heating concerns, ballasts etc.). Or if you have any suggestions on alternative lighting

here are the links for the lights.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/48-4-ft-Metal-Hal...item19bf1d81df

http://cgi.ebay.ca/48-T5-Light-Aquar...item43a177611a
Old 09-07-2010, 08:29 PM

tidal_waters is on a distinguished road

I was looking at that first light fixture yesterday, and it appears as though they are Odessea fixtures, read some bad things about the ballasts.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:47 PM

I also heard about the possibility of the units starting a fire. Did more research and it seems they have put in new ballasts and changed a few things. They seem to be getting better reviews but the old lights seem to have left a black mark on their reputation.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:52 PM

kevNnic is on a distinguished road

thats a steal at this price, and i would definetly consider buying these lights, but i think im going to do a little more research, would hate to spend 300$ on a light to have it fail a month down the road.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

that flaming ballasts issue is an old one.

for the price, this may be worth trying.

The reflector on the T5 unit looks questionable but may be easily and cheaply replaced with individual ones...

I have considered those MH/T5 units in the past as the price on Ebay is always so attractive.

I always wind up spending a little more and buying used though.

If you do buy on of these, please make sure and keep the board up on how the company is to deal with, if shipping is done adequately and of course on how you view the performance overall.

Please keep in mind that you always get what you pay for, the thing is though; sometimes all you're paying for is a name-brand or tickets to a hot trend.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:02 AM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

I had the first one and had no problems other than when some water got into one of the ballasts, got another ballast at j+l. for the price they can't be beat.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:11 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

I have been doing a lot of research on these this weekend because I am going to be buying one. Ballast problems appear to be a thing of the past now that they have electronic ballasts, but upgrading to a Icecap would help with peice of mind, less wattage and brighter color. The bulbs are lesser quality so use them for 6 months then replace with good ones. Finally the legs are very cheap so purchase a hanging kit and your done. Its not going to be the greatest light in the world, it will still have cheaper swtiches, sockets and fans but for the price its pretty hard to beat. If you are handy and able to make minor tweaks and changes all the better.

P.S. Those lights are throwing out gobs of light. You are looking at almost 11 Watts per gallon... So keep the in consideration when buying corals and aquascaping (if you want softies you should make some caves)

Last edited by Wayne; 09-08-2010 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:09 PM

I have seen that a few people have used the fishneedit lights. Does anyone have comments about them now that they have had the lights for a while?

I am a bit concerned with using mh's (heating, power consumption). I was thinking of the T5 fixture from fishneedit.

I have a 4'L x 13"w tank. I know that the 4 bulb T5 would not be enough light. but if I added their 2bulb unit to that would I be able to keep the majority of corals? I would like to have 2 x 4' 4bulb T5 but it would be too wide for my tank.