Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 09-20-2010, 08:12 PM

Fellow is on a distinguished road
Default New system need advice on Best Timer and Fuge Lighting setup.

With my new tank I upgraded my lights but unfortunately this fixture does not have a handy built in timer like my last one.

The new fixture has two power cords one for each bank of lights. I am looking for a single timer that will allow me to run both banks on separate schedules. Anyone swear by their timer enough to recommend it?

Also what are all of you using to light your fuge? I am moving from a sumpless system so I am looking for a safe solution for lighting my fuge?

Shoddy cell picture of my new setup:
Old 09-20-2010, 10:18 PM

Sunee is on a distinguished road

I have been using a Coralife timer for about 2 1/2 years and have had no problems with it and it was reasonably priced. My only complaint is having to reset the time for daylight savings time. I got it from J&L, tried to get you the link but I can't connect to their website. It is the one with the two timer dials at each end of the bar.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:49 PM

ILIKECOUGARS is on a distinguished road

I would stay away from coralife timers, there not worth the money you pay for them. I had a coralife dual timer, and it crap out in about 8 months. Look at Wallmart for timers, why paid for a coralife brand name when walmart has the same timer for far less of the price that you will pay for a coralife timer. For fuge lighting I would pick up a clip-on lamp holder with a 6500k cf flood bulb

Last edited by ILIKECOUGARS; 09-21-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:07 PM
bvlester

+1 on the comment about Walmart ILIKECOUGARS they do not carry the dual timers but you can get the digital timers I am in the process of modifying one at the moment you need to make a connection to the N/C terminal of the timer. the N/C connector runs on the opposite cycle as the one that is connected to the timer presently. Make sure that you cut the bar and make a connection to it with the lead from the N/C connection if you are splitting the side that is on the timer currently. What I do is instead of having one half on all the time I connect that side to the N/C connector. pretty easy. Then if you want MH and T5's on at opposite times you can and if you want them both off at the same time you will have to have 2 different timers running so buy 2 digital timers and use the one up modified to run one set of lights and your light for the fudge then they will be on a opposite times.

Bill

Last edited by bvlester; 09-20-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:24 PM

Bloodasp is on a distinguished road

Sump lights don't need to be fancy. Just buy one of those clip on lamps or any lamp that you can securely put in your sump area without toppling over and getting wet and get one of those power compacts that say daylight on it.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:19 AM

ILIKECOUGARS is on a distinguished road

Dual timer from Walmart
http://www.walmart.ca/details?assetI...romSearch=true
Old 09-21-2010, 02:23 PM

How much is the WalMart timer? I've been looking for another timer for my sump lights in a new set up and so far everything I have seen in the hardware stores are unsuitable and or expensive.

As for Coralife timers being crap, I paid less than $30 for mine and it is still working perfectly after 2 1/2 years. Maybe I was lucky but I based my recommendation on my experience.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:07 PM

Fellow is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses as for timers, I went overboard and ordered a Reef Keeper Elite
Old 09-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

the thing is, you can buy the generic versions of the coralife timers from just about anywhere...

sears sells them for 7.99 and they are identical other than branding and you don't get the blue and yellow colored plugs...

They don't work at all as a surge protector, I've seen these flare up and not trip time and time again.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:17 PM

Glad you found something - that is one nice timer you bought!!!