Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 06:11 AM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

I did not read all the posts but my first take was that they were over done.
I think that people that have been around for a bit and know corals and understand what the color is supposed too be when you get it home will be upset.
(After all thats what we are all after.The color in OUR TANK)
Lots of people that don't know better will buy them at inflated prices as they look so nice. I know I bought a few like that but now I know better.
So will the people that buy you fancy photo shopped stuff now after they get it home. Just my 2 cents. Is that good for sales down the road???
Old 09-22-2010, 07:14 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin65 View Post
I did not read all the posts but my first take was that they were over done.
I think that people that have been around for a bit and know corals and understand what the color is supposed too be when you get it home will be upset.
(After all thats what we are all after.The color in OUR TANK)
Lots of people that don't know better will buy them at inflated prices as they look so nice. I know I bought a few like that but now I know better.
So will the people that buy you fancy photo shopped stuff now after they get it home. Just my 2 cents. Is that good for sales down the road???
You really should have gone back and read it before you posted.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkshiu View Post
If the photos are not enhanced, then fantastic. And good on Cherry Corals for showing an untouched original photo. But the concern is for potential consumers of their product (i.e. people who don't know what they are talking about like me) who may be dissapointed with the real thing after they've paid for them. There have been a lot of instances involving other vendors where great looking corals turn out to be not as great in person.

Even if Cherry Corals did not mean for these pictures to create marketing buzz, it sure hasn't hurt them judging by "ooh", "ahh" and "I wish I were in the US" comments on this thread. It's simply free publicity and good marketing on their part.
Why does it matter so much to you what has been done to the photos? He has already stated he only corrects them. This makes them much more accurate than if he were to post an untouched photo that you would approve of. He has also been backed up by two people who have nothing to gain by backing him and said his corals are gorgeous and these photos are accurate. Actually three people, one of which is a vendor.

Publicity for what? He doesn't/can't sell here. Why is he being treated any different from anyone else that wanted to post pictures from their tank?

Beautiful stuff by the way Cherry!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 01:23 PM

rstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Why does it matter so much to you what has been done to the photos? He has already stated he only corrects them. This makes them much more accurate than if he were to post an untouched photo that you would approve of. He has also been backed up by two people who have nothing to gain by backing him and said his corals are gorgeous and these photos are accurate. Actually three people, one of which is a vendor.

Publicity for what? He doesn't/can't sell here. Why is he being treated any different from anyone else that wanted to post pictures from their tank?

Beautiful stuff by the way Cherry!!!
Not to derail this thread, but i seriously missed your "devils advocate" sentimentality, welcome back to the forums GSP! You've always been the one to step up and challenge others opinions using cold hard logi!!
Old 09-22-2010, 02:07 PM

cherrycorals is on a distinguished road

I love cold hard logi!!

Unjacked

Jacked!
Old 09-22-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstar View Post
Not to derail this thread, but i seriously missed your "devils advocate" sentimentality, welcome back to the forums GSP! You've always been the one to step up and challenge others opinions using cold hard logi!!
Well this one just bothered me! Someone is posting pictures and gets attacked. Even if he were creating buzz who cares? Can people not resist and make their own choice? Ask the seller their own questions?

If not, your going to have a tough time in this world because marketing is all about creating a buzz and promoting your product as the best it possibly can be and sometimes more. Should we start to attack Apple for their brilliant marketing too?

Im not insinuating that Cherry is trying to promote his product to market that cannot buy it but Im saying even if he was, who cares?
Old 09-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Straight from camera is quite often the least realistic looking photo around. Maybe if people adjusted white balance etc beforehand but clearly his shots are closer to real life after adjustment.

Also...Everyone's monitor is calibrated differently. What looks drab on one may look over-saturated on another. Think some are missing the point. He's not a vendor and some vendors post pics taken under 20k without much photoshopping. To me that's a bigger misrepresentation.

But either way who cares. Like monitors everyone's lighting is different and these would look different under everyone's light regardless of how they were presented.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:24 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

No underlieing intention just a honest newbie question that is somewhat related and I always wondered...I realize most corals are harvested from the ocean but I have seen tons as everyone else has these awesome colored brains, donuts, zoas etc. corals. Is this how they look in the ocean? I realized there are aqua cultured out there but never knew if that meant man made colored or just 2nd 3rd generation etc. Now that you have wiped away the tears of laughter I look forward to the answer...
Old 09-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Yeah good point lol. The ocean has far fewer LEDs and 20k halides than our tanks. I don't think they'd look the same. Not that many try and simulate the sun's color temp when setting up a reef. I guess it started with trying to mimic the coloration at a deeper depth and then we tried drawing every colour out.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:37 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

Not neccesarilly the ones in this post but the brains and scolys in the market today are so psychedelic it's hard to believe they're natural and not man made color. Either way I would much rather have the psychedlic myself...
Closed Thread