Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 09-15-2010, 08:50 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
PS. I think unless you're watching HD television I think the odds are pretty good you won't be watching much regular television on a 10' screen. I find anything above 46" or thereabouts to be pretty pixelated and fuzzy for regular TV. I can't imagine the brutal waste of technology that watching Bachelor or Dancing or whatever on a screen like that would entail. Brutal!

We only have one TV in the house, the rear projection unit that's being replaced by the front projector. We are planning on adding a second TV to the upstairs living room at some point in the next year. All of my TV viewing will be on the projector.

Cable was upgraded from standard cable to one of the HD packages last week, my new cable box will be installed on Friday I watched cable TV on it last night for the better part of a couple of hours, it was fine. These new projectors do a lot to minimize the ablility to see the pixel structure. I can't see it on mine until I get around 4/5 feet from the screen. My seating is at 16' right now.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:25 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Kewl.

So are you still thinking screen or maybe that screen projector paint you can put on walls?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Kewl.

So are you still thinking screen or maybe that screen projector paint you can put on walls?

I'll be using an acoustically transparent screen from SeymourAV. The front three speakers will be behind the screen so you can't see them.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:36 PM

Pescador is on a distinguished road

Nice job it's looking great.
I used this DIY Theater paint kit it worked great but you have to really, really prep your wall first. I thought I would give it a try before spending big bucks on a screen and I'm still happy with it.
You have to pick the formula based on contrast ratio and how bright the room will be.
With the Panny projector we could watch with all the room lights on no problem but we usually have them dimmed.
We debated curtains for the tank as well but ended up timing sunset to when we usually watch movies. The screen doesn't face directly towards the tank so it's not that bright and there's a moonlight cycle in the tank as well.
The fish are all tucked away in there beds anyway except the puffer and I have never seen him sleeping.
This Telus Optik TV made a huge difference in watching standard def on the projector its much better. But I find after watching HD I don't really look at what's on the other channels after awhile.
110g mangrove refug/sump
Poison Dart Frog Vivarium
Old 01-04-2011, 06:14 PM

My new toy, I built the frame out of 1x4, covered it in velvet and attached the screen material to the back.

I threw some speakers on the floor so I could play some Call of Duty on the xbox! That was fun.

Last edited by Parker; 01-04-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Fat Finger Disease
Old 01-04-2011, 10:25 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
My new toy, I built the frame out of 1x4, covered it in velvet and attached the screen material to the back.

I threw some speakers on the floor so I could play some Call of Duty on the xbox! That was fun.
Are you still going to put the speakers behind the screen? also what did you do about soundproofing from the rest of the house.. the wife is complaining when I am downstairs watching a movie or playing with the x-box

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
Are you still going to put the speakers behind the screen? also what did you do about soundproofing from the rest of the house.. the wife is complaining when I am downstairs watching a movie or playing with the x-box

Steve
Yep, still planning on speakers beind the screen, there's a six inch stand off for the screen that isn't on the wall in the picture above.

There isn't a thing I can do about sound proofing, there is an open staircase in the room to the main floor. My wife just has to put up with the noise.

Last edited by Parker; 01-05-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:27 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

I've had a projector for the last 6 years and finally got one this year with hdmi outputs and 3D capabilities. Had to upgrade my 6 year old receiver and finally went from 4.0 to 5.1. My house was wired for 5.1 when I built it 5.5 years ago, but finally on boxing day bought a centre channel and a woofer. Super happy with it now.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
I thought my tv was going also.. turns out I needed glasses

ya I have a few. not done yet, so the equipment is on the floor till I get the bar counter all done. TV and some of the speakers are mounted.. just got to figure out how to hide a few wires now.

here are two pics of what was there when I bought the house this summer. the family room and bar area are a "L" shape. so if you are looking at the fireplace in the family room the bar area is to the right.

so here are the stage they are at now.. keep in mind there is still a lot of work to do, but this gives you the idea.

and finaly the TV

Steve
updated pics comming.
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 01-05-2011, 02:17 AM

well did more work on the basement, still have a bit of trim work to do and some wires to re rout/hide but getting there.

here is the fireplace shot. when we uncovered all the wood it was to dark so we had to lighten it up a bit.

got the bar pretty much done now. still have to find a wine cooler the right size, and some more decorations and get them hung though. (ignore the wires, haven't run them properly as we changed where the equipment is going)

In this one you can see the 4 rear speakers of my 7.1 setup on the back wall.

Steve