Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Edmonton

Old 11-28-2003, 12:28 AM

reef monkey is on a distinguished road
Default re:december meeting

I would be interested as I have been into saltwater for a couple of years now and would like to meet people with a common interest I do not have any frags as I only have a fish only tank but am ready to start reefing and could certainly use any help you can offer I currently have a 135 gal reef ready tank with 120 lbs of sand and 100 lbs of live rock 12 or so snails and crabs long tentacle anenome 3 perculas 1 regal tang 2 six line wrasse 1 foxface 1 snowflake eel 1 coral beauty 1 male and 1 female square back anthias 1 three stripe damsel 1 orange spotted gobi and a few polyps that hitch hiked on some live rock I am putting the finnishing touches on a new canopy that will one day hold metal halides but for now I will be installing 4 165 watt vho 2- 50/50 2- actinic was told that it would be more than enough to start corrals if that is true I will need a lot of help learning how to care for them
Old 11-28-2003, 01:38 AM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

Hey Reef Monkey, sounds like you're on the right track. How are the three A. percula working out for you? I've heard of people doing large groups of them but never just three. Is one the dominant female, another the dominant male, and the last one a juvenile? Do your two sixline wrasses get along?

I do believe your VHOs would be fine for M. digitata, I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. I can certainly bring you some frags.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 11-28-2003, 01:50 AM

kuatto is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to kuatto

Welcome
Should I put you down for 7pm dec 06?I'm sure there'll be a few frags available.and you get to see a few of us electricute ourselfs with a diy metal halide setup should be good for a laugh or two.

Jim
Old 11-28-2003, 02:28 AM

you can most definatly put me down I have been in the wrong forums finaly some one closer to home
the two six line wrasses get along just fine they were in the same tank at AI and I couldn't bare to break them up
as for the perculas they are exactly as oyou described them you sure know your stuff
Old 11-28-2003, 02:32 AM

Nice. Why don't you tell us a bit about your equipment, ie. protein skimmer, sump if you have one, etc. Also what are your levels like? pH, NH3, NO2, NO3, daily temp fluctuations, and do you happen to know what your CA levels are at?

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 11-28-2003, 03:22 AM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Quinn, many years ago I had three ocellaris Clowns. That was when I lived in Vancouver. Two were dominant male and female because they spawned. We never knew what the third one was. It just hung around with the other two. They never hurt it or anything.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 11-28-2003, 03:24 AM

don't know where to start I have gone threw so much already
tank is 135 gal reef ready
sump is a 50 gal with bio-balls and baffles
I have 2 hagen 802 power heads in the tank for current
precision marine ES100 protien skimmer fed by a sedra 5000(500gph pump)
sump return is powered by a Mag-Drive 1800 gph
lighting is 2 50/50 165watt VHO's & 2 actinic 165watt VHO's each set is powered by Hamilton Technology ballasts.1-40 watt party blue incandescent light for moonlight

my lvels at the last test are:
ph=8.2
no2=0.1
no3=5
Ca= 400
PO4=0.25
NH3=0.2
O2=6.5mg/l
SG=1.023
temp 79.5 f ( a little warm but hoping the new canopy will solve the problem)
Old 11-28-2003, 03:27 AM

I understand that's fairly normal behaviour in the wild, apparently there are often more than one of the juveniles or eunuchs or whatever. It would be neat to have a pair of black A. ocellaris along with a few juves in one tank, maybe with a nice blue carpet or something...

Old 11-29-2003, 06:54 PM

I have uploaded some photos of my system today and I finaly finished the canopy will have to monitor temp. fluctuations closely to see how well it is working may need to add fans to help it cool let me know what you think
Old 11-29-2003, 06:57 PM

uploaded to to the member gallery