Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-03-2010, 06:36 AM

viperfish is on a distinguished road
Default Neptune Apex Causing my Light to Flash

Has anyone have this happen? I have my Metal Halide lights plugged into my EB8 and for some reason my light will flash a few times during the night. Obviously there is some screw up with the EB8.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:32 AM

fencer is on a distinguished road

this could be from the ballasts. I have seen it in other controllers but not the apex
Old 09-03-2010, 05:55 PM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

I don't think it's the ballast. I plugged it into my coralife time and it doesn't blink. If I have to do that it sort of defeats the purpose of a controller. I have heard of it happening whe other outlets are used for a wavemaker so I ran my Evo's without an on/off cycle but it made no difference.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:00 PM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Try swapping the MH outlet with something else and see if it still does it. Could it be something in your programming? What are your MH statements?
Old 09-04-2010, 03:04 AM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road

This happens to me too!

In my case, the MH ballasts are connected to a DC4 and everything with them is fine.

Connected to my EB8 I have things like: CO2, Fans, Sump Lights, Cabinet Lights, Tunze ATO, Etc. Generally smaller equipment.

Ocassionally, I get what appears to be a surge or a spike through the EB8 where some or all of the devices seem to flash. The sump lights are the easiest to see, but I sometimes here the clicking of the CO2 solenoid.

The behaviour does seem to have a trigger, I just haven't figured out exactly what the trigger is. I notice it most frequently after a feed cycle when certain pumps start back up, but this correlation is inconclusive.

Honestly - I absolutely love the functionality of the Apex, but I have concerns about the quality of the hardware. I've just sent some hardware back to Neptune to be replaced.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:28 AM

rkelman is on a distinguished road

I had exactly the same problem. Do you have a low voltage appliance plugged into one of the regular outlets on the EB8? That's what was doing it on mine. I just plugged my 12v fan into a mechanical relay'd outlet and presto no more problems.