Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 08-09-2010, 07:20 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for Macro Algae

looking for types of macro for a refuge... i already have some cheato and would like to stay away for types that release spores such as grape caulerpa.
and i would like to stay away from ones that steal calcium... thats not too much too ask for is it? i have been triing to read up on them a little buts hard to find detailed info on macro.. every once in a while i will notice a "chain store" has various types of macro and just dont know what kinds are good for a small 7G planted refuge.. it will house small invers and maybe a fish so i dont want anything thats going to get out of control to quick..

Any thoughts or links???

Thanks
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:37 PM

Seamazter is on a distinguished road

http://www.thereefshoppe.ca/index.ph...ex&cPath=66_93
try sealettuce and shaving brush, mermaid fan too.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:07 PM

RCFA is on a distinguished road

I think Mermaid fan and shaving brush are both calcifying algaes.

I have some caulerpa prolifera if you want to try it. It has never released spores on me, but no guarantees.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:33 PM

ya so far the only thing ive seen that may be what i am looking for is maidens hair, but i will look into those mentioned

Thanks..
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

Old 08-09-2010, 07:54 PM

the mermaid fan is calcareous but i coudnt find anything that says shaving brush is...and i have found a few different types of shaving brush online.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:58 PM

Quoted on the Reef shop website:

DESCRIPTION:
Shaving Brush Plant (Penicillus capitus) grow in sandy substrates via rhizoidal "root balls". Its elongated stalk and green grass-like upward branches make a nice contrast against other natural decorations and corals in the home aquarium. Like the Halimeda Plant and like Coralline Algae, the Shaving Brush incorporates a hard Calcium Carbonate skeleton within its living tissue. This Caribbean-Atlantic native is functional in that it helps in the removal of organic nutrients because it consumes many waste by-products in the aquarium. This easy-care marine plant does well in a variety of conditions. Medium light and water-levels should suit it fine. Calcium and iron are beneficial in overall health and growth. Individual specimens are 3 - 4 inches.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:03 PM

I would suggest some of the brown or red algae. Halymenia and certain sargassums are sometimes available locally.

Check out http://live-plants.com/ for some options. Unfortunately they don't ship to Canada, but it will give you an idea what's available.