Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2010, 11:19 PM

Fishfreak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
lastlight Awesome start to a build thread. Love those dimensions. My only concern is the stand. Looks to have no horizontal bracing or plywood cladding on any sides to prevent the whole thing from tilting in either direction. Good luck with a quick possession.
To be honest I don't care much for the stand design. I initially had planned on having a tubular steel stand made for the tank but because I didn't want the tank recessed on the display side and wanted it flush with the wall, the builder wanted to build the stand for me to make finishing the display easier for them. They offered to do this for free and said that the stand would be clad with plywood (to clarify they have never done a fish tank feature before and have no experience or really know anything about reef tanks). As you will see in the pictures to come, they ended up cladding the stand only with drywall. My brother in law is an engineer and when I showed him the picture today, he agreed that it should have horizontal bracing or be clad with plywood. I will have to get the builder to change this. I hate how they braced it vertically underneath. I virtually have no real-estate for equipment. I had planned on putting the sump against another wall anyway but a more open area under the stand would be nice.

Last edited by Fishfreak; 07-25-2010 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Forgot to clarify something