Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Oceanic Corals > Everything Pellets

Old 05-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

My tank is open-top with a powerhead aimed at the surface so I think my oxygen would be ok. My concern is a buildup of this mulm when my skimmer doesn't remove large volumes. I'm thinking the water will get cloudy and the mulm may possibly have other effects if left in the water.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:38 PM

loveless is on a distinguished road

From what I have noticed in my tank is that there really is no noticeable discharge from the reactor itself. Maybe there is a little bit more particulate in the water column but definitely no clouding. Also the mulm is taken up by fish corals and other critters as afood source. I see my fish eating alot of stuff from the water lately. Also my skimmer is kinda small for the size of tank I run as well.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:42 PM

burrows14 is on a distinguished road

I just setup my vertex uf-15 reactor and have it Tee'd off of my return pump with the oulet feeding into my skimmer conpartment and getting lots of flow thru the reactor but no tumble I added a 500ml bag to the 300ml I already had in my TLF reactor. Do I have to many pellets? should I remove some and throw them out?
Old 05-20-2010, 03:21 PM

burblecut is on a distinguished road

Alright I have 2 Questions in regards to the Bio pellets sump location and how much should go into the reactor.

1) Where is the best spot to put this in my sump? This is my current sump(attached). I have my Skimmer in the middle compartment and my return in the right compartment.

2) I bought Ian's NpX-Bio Bead / Vertex Reactor kit with mod, UF-15 model with a mj 1200 pump.. From what I have read from the posts, I take out the two sponges, add the pellets, then start it up. How many pellets should I add? Am I missing anything?

One last thing...the MJ1200 comes with a bunch of accesories. Does anybody have a pic of one of these set-up?

Thanks!
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sump.jpg (20.1 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by burblecut; 05-20-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by burblecut View Post
Alright I have 2 Questions in regards to the Bio pellets sump location and how much should go into the reactor.

1) Where is the best spot to put this in my sump? This is my current sump(attached). I have my Skimmer in the middle compartment and my return in the right compartment.

2) I bought Ian's NpX-Bio Bead / Vertex Reactor kit with mod, UF-15 model with a mj 1200 pump.. From what I have read from the posts, I take out the two sponges, add the pellets, then start it up. How many pellets should I add? Am I missing anything?

One last thing...the MJ1200 comes with a bunch of accesories. Does anybody have a pic of one of these set-up?

Thanks!
Chris

Nice looking sump Chris! Yes, toss the sponges and add 1/2 of the Bio Beads to your reactor, you do not need to use any of the accessories from the MJ1200 box. After about 1-2 weeks add the rest of the Beads and make sure they are tumbling aggressively~ That's it!

Ian
Old 05-20-2010, 06:05 PM

burblecut is on a distinguished road

Thanks Ian. Half of a 550ml bag?
Should I have the reactor pump in the same compartment as my skimmer pump?
Old 05-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by burblecut View Post
Thanks Ian. Half of a 550ml bag?
Should I have the reactor pump in the same compartment as my skimmer pump?

Yeah half the bag should be fine although you could most likely start with the whole bag, just watch for clouding if your nutrients are high. Employing the pump in the same compartment would work fine, it makes no difference really.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2010, 10:42 AM

mikebpeters is on a distinguished road
Default Pumps and 'tumble'

I also bought the U15 and an MJ1200 and found that with 500ml of pellets there wasn't enough flow to keep them tumbling, so I put an AC 802 (with about 30% higher flow) on. I have also added another 500ml for a total of 1000ml. I now have a very nice slow tumble througout the reactor.

My pellets have been running for almost a month now, and I saw a bit of cloudiness during the second week. I have also seen some cyano, but nothing major.

My tank had excessively high nitrates, and between that, some agressive water changes, and really good skimming my nitrates have come down from 'utterly blinding' to merely 'horific'
Old 05-30-2010, 06:14 PM

abcha0s is on a distinguished road
Default General Questions

<still trying to figure it all out>

Last edited by abcha0s; 06-03-2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Answered my own questions
Old 06-02-2010, 08:21 PM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

Maybe I missed this but......when you run pellets, does it increase your foam production from your skimmer? I started mine (FINALLY......took me awhile once I got all the stuff) and my skimmer is REALLY foaming.......sorry if it was answered already....