Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-03-2010, 05:33 PM

marvinsae is on a distinguished road
Default bracket on the top of the tank

i have a 65 gallon and theres a middle bracket on the top of the tank. would i be able to remove the whole plastic top and put on a different one or do i just have to deal with it? my mh is gettin pretty hot and its warping the plastic.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:41 PM

4lti7ude is on a distinguished road

If its a solid plastic piece then its for supporting the tank, but if its a thin flimsy one then it doesn't do anything I believe.
The sturdy ones shaped at the top for two small glasstops.

Removing the whole black top part tho is kinda sketchy...I don't think you could to that without messing up the strength of that tank. Even if you build another one.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:34 PM

marvinsae is on a distinguished road

im thinkin of sawing it off but im worried the plastic will get into the water...i guess im just gonna have to live with it if theres no other option
Old 05-03-2010, 10:31 PM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't do that. Manufacturing is a game of pennies and no one puts materials where they don't serve a purpose. That brace is there for a reason and removing it may not cause immediate disaster but you increase your chances by reducing the overall strength.

Even the flimsy braces are very strong in tension (which is how they are stressed when the tank is holding water).

I would suggest you leave it.

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:46 PM

Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDude View Post
I wouldn't do that. Manufacturing is a game of pennies and no one puts materials where they don't serve a purpose. That brace is there for a reason and removing it may not cause immediate disaster but you increase your chances by reducing the overall strength.

Even the flimsy braces are very strong in tension (which is how they are stressed when the tank is holding water).

I would suggest you leave it.
I agree!!

On my 33 gallon, I cracked the center brace when moving the tank into place.
I glued it back together and it held for a few months. I was digging around in the tank and pushed on the brace by mistake. The glass has bowed out to have a 1/4" gap in the brace.

So, yes, they surve a purpose. I'd leave it inplace unless you intend to eurobrace the tank.

The tank is still holding water without it, but it is weaker than if that brace was intact.
67 Gallon Mixed Reef, Modular LED Lights

Send in the Clowns - Clown Fish Breeding
5 Gallon Fry Hatchery and 15 Gallon Clown Grow Out Tank
Old 05-05-2010, 12:30 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

have two narrow glass pieces cut (two inch is plenty) to cross-brace the tank into thirds.......drop the water level in the tank, silicone the braces in......let cure for 24 hours then refill the tank, and cut the center-brace out......done like diner
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694