Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-28-2010, 04:31 AM

ALBERTA REEF is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ALBERTA REEF

Nice thread. Tag along!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:31 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Ed: I was going to set it up with one bin for salt (the 40g bin on the right) and 1 bin for freshwater (60g bin on left) (hence the differently coloured ball valves), and was going to run my two R/O lines (from two separate 50gpd membranes) to each bin separately so they could fill independently. I however got two 33g pre-drilled tanks (from lastlight when I bought his tank) and those will now become the SW portion... and now I can do larger 100g waterchanges on my big fresh tanks.

My bins (for anyone asking) do have removable lids (rigid enough you can put stuff on them but easy enough to cut holes into, etc... same with the bins, the bins are plenty rigid but easy to cut into, and light). They do not screw on although I think you can get some that do. I purchased them at polyrama plastics in edmonton, they are on 149st a couple block south of the yellowhead (across the road from the south end of the costco parking lot). Sorry I cant remember the avenue. They have good prices and a HUGE variety of container types and styles, any type of cylinder, and even in rectangles, pre-drilled or not, etc... I chose mine cause of the good access to the top, the flat bottom(so you can draw out ALL the water - just be careful if you have a heater in the bottom of the bins like I do), and the slightly cheaper price for cylindrical vs. rectangular (I have no space constraints so cylindrical is no issue).

I kind of just threw that system together, and have been cleaning it all up and re-organizing it recently. In the pictures you can see the mag 9.5 that drives it and pumps water to two ends of the basement (one a freshwater fish room where there are several tanks - and the other my saltwater tanks in my bedroom). At each location I can fill buckets of water, and they also directly feed every aquarium. I can also fill buckets right beside the bins.

Sorry those pictures are a tad old. I'll have to update them soon.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 04-29-2010, 09:52 PM

saltynuts is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to saltynuts

what ro unit should i go with. i need to build soon
euro-reef rs100.
no more school so i,ll be able to keep this one!
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61329
Old 04-29-2010, 10:41 PM

zum14 is on a distinguished road

air water ice's typhoon 3 extreme or typhoon 3 had lots of good reviews when i bought my extreme. its out of the states, there really nice, not bad prices for what you get. Mine came with lines, filter wrenches, ppm meters. pretty nice.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:38 AM

That sounds pretty good.

I find its not too big a deal to use a TDS pen (have two different ones) so inline TDS meter is not necessary for me (though I do have an inline pressure gauge cause I have a booster pump). I have an aquasafe unit. Works just fine, it came with 3 pre-filter canisters, an R/O canister, and a DI canister. I added a second R/O canister so I could increase the output on it and hooked up a booster pump. The Aquasafe units can be had for cheap (like 150?), replacement membranes and filters are easy to find and cheap, booster pump (which you probably wont need in the city, but I do since im on a well and run dual membranes) is around 100. No problems at all with my unit even with the high pressure from the booster pump.

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. There is a unit out there, maybe someone can chime in since I cant remember the name, but it has several pre-filter sections and a comes with R/O and DI cannister sections and has built in TDS meter and booster pump. It has a fairly high product/waste efficiency.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:45 AM

Heres the rig Zum14 mentioned, Looks pretty friggen sweet:

http://www.airwaterice.com/c=HoupxHM...TDS-Meter.html

Ahh here is the unit I was looking for... (though there is another one of a different brand with similar purposes):

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/cat...oducts_id=3497

Just some sweet options to choose from but again theres tons of cheap systems. It really doesn't matter, they all do the same thing in the end. Just make sure you set it up in a way that will be as convenient as possible but also functional.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 05-01-2010, 01:33 PM

zum14 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky_Fish14 View Post
Heres the rig Zum14 mentioned, Looks pretty friggen sweet:

http://www.airwaterice.com/c=HoupxHM...TDS-Meter.html

Ahh here is the unit I was looking for... (though there is another one of a different brand with similar purposes):

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/cat...oducts_id=3497

Just some sweet options to choose from but again theres tons of cheap systems. It really doesn't matter, they all do the same thing in the end. Just make sure you set it up in a way that will be as convenient as possible but also functional.

Cheers,

Chris
The typhoon is pretty sweet but its no automated backflushin microprocessing filter. I like that other one too.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:02 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky_Fish14 View Post

P.S. There is a unit out there, maybe someone can chime in since I cant remember the name, but it has several pre-filter sections and a comes with R/O and DI cannister sections and has built in TDS meter and booster pump. It has a fairly high product/waste efficiency.
This one has all the features you mentioned.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/vt...+-+100GPD.html
Old 05-02-2010, 08:27 PM

Haha yeah thats the one I linked to in my earlier post. Didn't realize J&L had it. Thx for posting.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:01 AM

earliris is on a distinguished road

This is also an option:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...zation-systems