Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Eco-Reefer

Old 04-19-2010, 03:50 AM

sitandwatch is on a distinguished road
Default Quick Review for Eco-Reefer Rock

So I got my rock a few weeks ago and finally got it out of the boxes

First the process of getting the rock was simple I just emailed them and was in contact with Torsten he was a huge help.

He asked the dimensions of the tank, the amount of rock I wanted and what I was looking for, he picked the rock, did some aquascaping on the ground and sent me the photos so I was able to see what I was getting in advance.

The rock took about a week to get here and showed up in very good condition.

The rocked looked better then the photos that were sent I am very happy with it. It does weigh more then my Tonga rock but way less then manufactured rock that I have felt.

I totally aquascaped my tank differently then I had planed but thats just the way it goes.

I feel that its a great value, I like live rock and don't mind the hitchhikers but for less then half the price this was the way to go.

Here are some photos of the rock and the current aquascape I have some more rock to add in from my other tank so it will change a bit.

Bottom line I would order from them again and recommend it.

Last edited by sitandwatch; 04-19-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:24 AM

Seamazter is on a distinguished road

Did you request the smaller pieces or were they all less then 6 inches big?
Old 04-19-2010, 04:41 AM

TheKid is on a distinguished road

So this stuff is basically like uncured live rock that you have to cure?

~*~*Stefan*~*~
Formally known as Svaningen
35 gallon Red Sea Max
Only 16 years old!!!!
CALL AFTER 3:00 ON WEEKDAYS. 604 782 3313
Old 04-19-2010, 05:03 AM

sitandwatch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamazter View Post
Did you request the smaller pieces or were they all less then 6 inches big?
They are all different sizes, I request the that pieces not be taller then 8 inches due to the water level.

The biggest is about 8 inches tall and quite wide. they also have much larger pieces just tell them what you want.

It would be nice to see it in person, but I am confident they would be pick the best pieces for each person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svaningen View Post
So this stuff is basically like uncured live rock that you have to cure?
The rock is completely dry so you are not curring it you are seeding it with life from existing rocks, I understand that in about 4 weeks it will start to look more like my current rock.

Last edited by sitandwatch; 04-20-2010 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Fixing post to make some sence I was tired
Old 04-20-2010, 01:08 AM

EcoReefer is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review Brian. I'm sure however you end up aqua-scaping the tank, it will look great. It was interesting trying to come up with a aqua-scape idea for your particular tank since it was long but limited in height.

For those who are curious:

The Reefer Rock is a dry rock (ancient coral) that has no living organisms on or in it therefore it is 99% organic free (I won't say 100% because sometimes I find small leaves in some of the holes and we may not catch all of them when we pack the orders). Being organic free means that putting this rock into water it will be neutral - not a source of organic waste (ammonia) or a source of additional bacteria/life. The bacteria, coraline algae, and pod's will eventually colonize the rock from a seed source and will make it live over time (like everything in the hobby - good things take time).

After a quick rinse, we have added Reefer Rock to established tanks and there have been no mini-cycles noted. For new tank setups, since there are no organics with this rock, we have had to add an ammonia source (piece of raw shrimp etc) to the tank in order for the bacteria to multiply to levels to sustain the intended bio-load of the system.

Curing is a process you do with live (wet) rock that has had a lot of death occur in it (either from the shipping process or from improper water conditions). I do have a more detailed explanation on our website - Eco-FAQ page.