Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 10-27-2003, 06:53 PM

deacon hemp is on a distinguished road

Bohdi i have some frags for sale right now and as for your cyno problem try to feed your chromis as little as possible right now! i have a wicked bright GSP colony with long polyps thats nice....respond if your interested?
Old 10-27-2003, 08:41 PM

Bodhi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Bodhi

deacon you have a pm, yup Im hardly feeding my fish at all rite now and everything I feed him he eats so thats good I guess, less phosphates I belive. It seems to be gettin a bit better allready, after scrubing rocks and sucking it off the sand. Im not to worried as I understand that this is to be expected, but I still want to deal with it before it gets out af hand.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:49 PM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road

In my opinion cyano is mainly due to poor circulation ... what happens as a result is detritus/food buildups that in turn leach phosphates which then feed the cyano bloom ... so take a close look at circulation and see if there is enough water movement so as to maybe prevent it from coming back later on. HTH

Cheers

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 10-28-2003, 12:24 AM

JoJo is on a distinguished road

Bob

I think J&L also sells the powerquads for the same price

http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/sh...ogno=pc-al2096
Old 10-28-2003, 01:00 AM

thanks rasta, yeah my powersweep is 125gal/hr and the powerhead is 270gal/hr so I have a total of 395gal/hr and this is in a 15gal tank so I think Im ok there. Its probably the food thing wait and see I guess
Old 10-28-2003, 01:16 AM

would a 25% water change help?
Old 10-28-2003, 01:24 AM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasta
In my opinion cyano is mainly due to poor circulation ... what happens as a result is detritus/food buildups that in turn leach phosphates which then feed the cyano bloom ... so take a close look at circulation and see if there is enough water movement so as to maybe prevent it from coming back later on. HTH

Cheers
Steve, I am sure you would not say Evan has poor circulation, but as I am sure you noticed he has plenty of cyano. Also some time ago the experts on AquariaCentral claimed exactly opposite to what you said. They blamed too much circulation. As I said, I am sure there are plenty of opinions on causes, but in reality I think we are all guessing. I don't claim to have any answers except for the Chemiclean. It works without any bad effects ESPECIALLY in a small tank.. I would never recommend it for a large tank, as it would not be cost effective.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 10-28-2003, 01:28 AM

Jack is on a distinguished road

I don't understand the guns shooting the little angel...?
Old 10-28-2003, 01:49 AM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road

When I first setup my 300G I had poor circulation and ended up with a cyano bloom that was real nasty ( covered everything ) ... my theory behind what happened was too small a skimmer ( at that time ) and not enough circulation to keep the currents moving detritus/nutrients etc out of the tank and into the sump so that the skimmer could remove any excess stuff ... this time around I have a Beckett skimmer that would suck the remaining hair right off your head Bob and about 8200 gph circulation inside the tank ... only algae problem I had was a little bit of diatoms when it first started up and thats it ( " knock on wood " ... it has been back up again since Feb/03 ) ... now Bodhi has stated that circulation is not a problem so nutrient export is the next culprit in line IMO ( besides Evan may have used the sand from his old reef and stirring up all the nutrients that were in it could easily explain his mini-cyano bloom ) and after that it would be lighting spectrum ( but by the sounds of it the lights are new ... 1 month old )

Fixing the problem of nuissance algae is often a combination of factors I think that have to be eliminated one at a time ... my suggestion as far as circulation was simply from personal experience it was a contributing factor at that time.

Cheers

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 10-28-2003, 01:53 AM

What about the water change?