Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 04-02-2010, 04:12 AM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
hmm, I went and looked at ORA's site and there is a few things that disturb me about them to the point I don't know if I want to buy any product of theres..

they are creating hybrids which is just the next step in the colored tetras. now I know people will say so what, but what happens if a hybrid gets released into the ocean by some dummy who thinks he is doing a good thing?

Steve
Well, fish hybridize in the wild to so it's probably not a big deal. Occasionally unusual hybrid angels and butterfly fish are caught by collectors and fetch big bucks in markets like Japan. If anything adding a bit of genetic diversity into the line of fish is probably good to keep the stock healthy.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:46 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post
Well, fish hybridize in the wild to so it's probably not a big deal. Occasionally unusual hybrid angels and butterfly fish are caught by collectors and fetch big bucks in markets like Japan. If anything adding a bit of genetic diversity into the line of fish is probably good to keep the stock healthy.
na, genetic diversitity from different species doesn't help keep them healthy (thats like saying mixed breed dogs are more healthey than purbreads), but it can contribute to a species that is more adapatable and can outconpete either enviroment. Wild hybrids do occure but very rarely and between very closely related species who live in the same area, but they are high bucks because they are extreamly rare.

at anyrate producing hybrids for ornamental purposes is not a good practice in my eyes unless the fish are sterial so an acadental release will have no impact.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.