Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 03-26-2010, 05:38 AM

randy123 is on a distinguished road

I think the two most important factors in fish longevity are species and source. You'll find that fish from reputable wholesalers/LFS are your best bet, because you know they have been ethically caught/well treated beforethey came to you.

Some species just don't do well in aquariums. We don't know enough, or we just can't provide the right environment. Really, when our success in captive breeding is restricted to just a few species, how well can we claim to be doing? Then are are some fish such as Moorish Idols, which plain don't belong in the hobby IMO because we can't even keep them alive for a relatively short period of time.

IMO we should stick to the ones that do okay in captivity, for the sake of the fish and our wallets...
Old 03-26-2010, 03:23 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy123 View Post
i think the two most important factors in fish longevity are species and source. You'll find that fish from reputable wholesalers/lfs are your best bet, because you know they have been ethically caught/well treated beforethey came to you.

Some species just don't do well in aquariums. We don't know enough, or we just can't provide the right environment. Really, when our success in captive breeding is restricted to just a few species, how well can we claim to be doing? Then are are some fish such as moorish idols, which plain don't belong in the hobby imo because we can't even keep them alive for a relatively short period of time.

Imo we should stick to the ones that do okay in captivity, for the sake of the fish and our wallets...
+1
Old 03-27-2010, 12:12 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

OK...but once you've taken a fish past 3-6 months in your tank it would be hard to blame someone else if it dies after that. (assuming natural lifespan is considerably longer)

I'm just saying the obvious, I suppose...that the aquarist themselves is a significant factor in longevity.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 03-27-2010, 12:13 AM

Felix is on a distinguished road

When I lived in England I had Japanese Koi Carp and some Isreali and uk bed koi carp. My Dad is still looking after some we have had for over 22 years !

not had anywhere near the same success with tropical fish.

on a related subject my friend has a pair of African Grey Parrots, his wife was surprised to find their will has to have provision for the Parrots, as all being well they will out live them both.

Felix
Old 03-27-2010, 05:13 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooz View Post
Have read that corals can potentially be used for numerous health benefits. The ocean is the next place for medicine to evolve
I guess that means the rainforests are beyond help... not surprising that we are in the process of destroying the oceans as well, hope we find the medicine before the species that harbors it is extinct.

And yeah, different fish live different amounts of time... I would suspect something like a Neon Goby to have a life span of years, and a lot of larger fish like groupers to have a life span of decades. This is, of course, barring any major incident like a tank crash, power outage, etc. which is likely the major cause (next to improper culture and feeding) of premature fish death.

I have Neon Tetras that are at least 3 years old. Not sure what the lifespan of these is...

I've read that some huge wild Tridacnid clams are estimated to be hundreds of years old (shells of clams have growth rings, like trees). Where I read that, I'm not sure... but I don't doubt it.

Last edited by BlueAbyss; 03-27-2010 at 05:16 AM.