Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-16-2010, 01:28 AM

Edmonton newbie is on a distinguished road
Question acrylic tanks

has anyone had any luck with acrylic tanks? can you polish the scratches out or are they there for life?
Old 03-16-2010, 01:34 AM
bvlester

you can get acrylic scratch kits and yes you can give them a quick polish but be very careful it tends to want to grab allot so go slow and soft. I would go and get a scratch kit there is 2 creams that should come with it 1 for buffing the scratches and the other is for finishing and cleaning. then take some water and rinse it off. should be as good as new.

A buffer works wonder I have seen tanks that have been buffed it is amazing but as I said before you have to be extra careful.

Bill
Old 03-16-2010, 02:14 AM

thats good to hear bill i have a 300 gal acrylic sitting in the garage collecting dust and i really dont want it to be just a sump
Old 03-16-2010, 04:21 AM
bvlester

when buffing take your time and get the kit it helps and takes out the small scratches nicely then buff the others out. Wit will take some time to do the whole tank but you will be pleased and when cleaning you might as well put in new bulkheads while you are at it to make sure the rubber seal is good. Better to do it while it is dry and not full of water.

Bill
Old 03-16-2010, 10:46 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Yes....and I'll add that you can continue to polish out scratches on the inside even after the tank is running by using a variety of super-duper fine sandpapers.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 03-17-2010, 01:00 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

WOW this is good to know, I have always been told that you can't polish acrylic. Bad info previously received.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 03-17-2010, 01:14 AM

good to know i keep alot of sandpaper around for some of my woodwork i think the finest i have is 12000 grit is that fine enough?
Old 03-17-2010, 05:59 AM
bvlester

Paul's aquatic in Surrey has a DT tank that he had to polish awhile back, he was trying a new polisher and it grabbed the acrylic took out some of the acrylic but to this day you would not know it you can not see where it happened on the tank I know as he showed me. Use a drumel tool and go slow it works.

You can also polish scratches out of glass tanks so you would not know using a drumel tool and joulers rouge.

Bill