Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-04-2010, 01:56 AM

hlywd is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie Filtration Question....

I recently purchased a used 54 gallon, corner bow front tank. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to keeping a saltwater tank. The set up came with a canister filter (FX5) as well as an Aqua C Remora Protein skimmer. I have a 2 ft wavepoint t5 ho light. It also came with about 40 lbs live rock in the tank(I've added a few pieces myself), as well as 2 tomato clowns hosting in a hairy mushroom, 4 blue/green chromis, a yellow headed sleeper goby, a coral beauty, a few mushrooms, a few hermit crabs, and a peppermint shrimp.

So here is my question - I've had the tank for a few weeks now, and it's been doing great, the fish seem happy, and I've really enjoyed the tank! Maybe I'm crazy, but it almost seems as if there is toooo much filtration. There doesn't seem to be much algae growth, and the cleaners always seem to be very hungry. IS there such a thing as too much filtration? Also, it seems like there is alot of micro bubbles. Will these hurt my tank? How do I get rid of them?

Any suggestions/advice would be great. I'm hoping to get into the world of some corals with the tank, and I'm just not sure about the set up.

I've included a tank shot to give an idea of what it looks like right now (actually I haven't, I'm having trouble uploading the photo). The parameters of the tank are all good. Ammonia is testing at zero, and everything else is matching up to what the guys at Gold's and Red Coral have both suggested.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-04-2010, 03:42 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

I won't venture an opinion yet, but I'll suggest that for uploading photos you use a site like photobucket and then use the [ IMG] tags to insert your images into posts.

And welcome to Canreef
Old 03-04-2010, 04:55 AM

Fishward is on a distinguished road

i would hold your tongue on this one, as most of us amatuers dream of a tank that has no algae. if you're worried about your scavengers going hungry, just feed a bit more so they get a share..
Old 03-04-2010, 05:42 AM
bvlester

feed frozen foods then everyone get some and the nitrates should not acumilate make sure that you clean that canister filter at the minimum every other month perferibly each month you do not want a nitrate factory happening in it.

Bill
Old 03-04-2010, 05:48 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

The whole point of having scavengers is so that NO food goes uneaten. It goes without saying that sometimes the scavengers will have slim pickings and will always be hungry... this is a very good thing when it comes to reef safe hermits (or crabs in general) that will feed on algae as well as meaty bits. Perhaps you have algae eating snails that are keeping growth minimized.

Now, I wanted to see the tank before I formed an opinion, but the more I think about it I really want to ask about the microbubbles... are they coming from the skimmer (which I assume is a hang-on back type) or from the canister filter? If they are coming from the canister you may have a leak on the suction side of said filter. Also, in most cases a strong flow is good for the tank's inhabitants, though a strong direct blast from a filter output will not be.

My 'reef' has turned into a 'planted' tank. I got lazy and macros don't get eaten by any of the creatures that live in my tank. It is, however, free of any microalgae or diatoms (or dead stuff, or fine particulates in the water column). I have a veritable army of snails and worms (and a pair of crabs) that make short work of that stuff. Even without regular feeding, the tank still grows algae...
Old 03-04-2010, 06:49 PM

project37 is on a distinguished road

I am going to guess that the micro bubbles are coming from your Remora C skimmer. Did the skimmer come with the overflow box for inside your tank? If not you could purchase one as the return side of the overflow box has a foam pad on the bottom of the outlet side to prevent micro bubbles from going into your tank. Another option would be to put a piece of foam on the right hand side of the skimmer just behind the waterfall outlet. This will trap microbubbles before they have a chance to enter your tank.
The FX5 is a large canister filter for a 54 gallon tank as it is rated for tanks up to 400 gallon. It may be over filtering your tank but some members will say there is no such thing as over filtering. I have a 90 gallon tank and only run the Fluval 405 canister filter as it is rated for up to 100 gallon. If you want to try a smaller filter let me know as I could swap you my 405 for your FX5 for a while if you want to see if it makes a difference.
Good luck with your tank and keep us posted on your findings.