Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-23-2010, 08:56 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACMAN416 View Post
But how does nano-customs get away with what they do then?
The current patent covers systems with controllers. No controller means no infringement. However, and it's a big HOWEVER, Orbitheft is trying to get an extension to the patent to cover all LED lighting, whether it has a controller or not. If they do then Nano Customs will either have to stop selling their retrofits or pay a license fee to Orbitec.

Hence my earlier thread asking for any examples of prior art that anybody knows of. There is a move afoot in the industry to try to have the patent re-examined and hopefully overturned. Any examples of people publicly discussing or displaying LED aquarium lighting for more than moonlighting before December 2003 could serve as prior art making Orbitec's patent application invalid.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:55 PM

PACMAN416 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
yes i will definitely be using dimmable drivers (meanwells). So your using 3xheatsinks. I like the idea of breaking the heatsinks up, but how will you wire that? i assume you would run the whites separately from the royal blue LEDs using different drivers. but will you have, lets say, LEDs being connected from heatsink to heatsink on the same driver?

Yes i know Martingrove Collegiate H.S. I went to Michael Power though

Ron, i think you missed one of my replies.

Can you provide a link to the heat sinks you picked up on ebay? I can't find anything with the appropriate width. maybe im blind?

Last edited by PACMAN416; 02-23-2010 at 11:25 PM. Reason: extra question
Old 02-23-2010, 11:35 PM

Hi,

They were just salvaged used heatsinks, not new retail ones. So no link, sorry. The one advatage is that they already have a whole bunch of mounting holes drilled and tapped in them so that makes it easier for me to mount them and possibly mount fans right on the heatsinks. There are lots of used heatsinks in different sizes available on eBay if you search. The only catch might be shipping to Canada. I have a mailbox just across the border in WA state that they were shipped to. Saved me something like $25 in shipping costs as they were heavy and no taxes or duties. Just a confused look from the border gaurd as I tried to explain what a heatsink was and what I was going to do with them

I haven't figured out eaxctly how I am going to wire them yet but they will be on 8 separate drivers (4 for whites and 4 for blues) so some will likely span heatsinks. I could probably put a connector in to go across heatsinks but they will all be mounted flush against each other in the housing. They are 15" long for a total of 45" in a 48" housing so I will just leave 1.5 inches on each end open. Right now I am trying to figure out how I am going to mount them in the housing. I'm a biologist, not an engineer Once I figure that out the wiring is the easy part.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:15 AM

maybe L brackets to create a lip that the heatsinks can rest on? yeah, this is definitely out of my scope as well. you are lucky about the US address. i checked shipping form heatsinkusa for a 10wide x 30long, and it'll cost $125 for the heatsink, and $75 for shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:23 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
maybe L brackets to create a lip that the heatsinks can rest on? yeah, this is definitely out of my scope as well. you are lucky about the US address. i checked shipping form heatsinkusa for a 10wide x 30long, and it'll cost $125 for the heatsink, and $75 for shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!
hmm did you ask about shipping options.. I asked them about USPS ground and it was about 35 bucks for the shipping on a 10X28. never use UPS as there will ba a 35 buck extra charge from UPS to "clear customs"

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
hmm did you ask about shipping options.. I asked them about USPS ground and it was about 35 bucks for the shipping on a 10X28. never use UPS as there will ba a 35 buck extra charge from UPS to "clear customs"

Steve
I think it was USPS as well sigh. i will keep my eyes open for a heatsink.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:15 PM

I was going to buy it anyways as I wasnted a one piece design, but ya there has to be something in Canada.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 02-25-2010, 12:03 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z5l7...ayer_embedded#
Above is the video of LED lited SPS tank. He's got 3 ballasts so looks like 3 LED strips.

here is the store that sells them.

http://www.fish-street.com/weipro_led_lighting_led-c
Could it work for a Nano or a small cube tank ?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuGlu6 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z5l7...ayer_embedded#
Above is the video of LED lited SPS tank. He's got 3 ballasts so looks like 3 LED strips.

here is the store that sells them.

http://www.fish-street.com/weipro_led_lighting_led-c
Could it work for a Nano or a small cube tank ?
I would say no. It says it's 180 LEDs and 21 watts so regular 5mm LEDs probably putting out very little PAR. Also, lifespan of those types of LEDs is iffy as they are very difficult to cool effectively. The tank in the video looks like it has T8s or something as well in addition to the LEDs.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post
I would say no. It says it's 180 LEDs and 21 watts so regular 5mm LEDs probably putting out very little PAR. Also, lifespan of those types of LEDs is iffy as they are very difficult to cool effectively. The tank in the video looks like it has T8s or something as well in addition to the LEDs.
the life of the 5mm will be very good, and they don't need cooling to get that life. but like you said there is no par to speak of.. they are about the same PAR output as a NO T12 bulb from my testing about 7 years ago.

this light are good for FOWLR or FO tanks, not anything with coral.

Steve