Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-23-2010, 05:19 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

personaly I think 60 degree optics would be more about T5 lighting levels, to get MH levels I think you need to use 40 degree optics on anything over 18" deep.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:12 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACMAN416 View Post
I'm technologically inept. a controller would be amazing, but i dont think i could do it. maybe in the future. Small world, I'm at Kipling and princess margaret!
Doesn't hurt to build it with the future expandability. Most reef controllers can output 0-10v signals for dimming so if you get drivers that are capable of being dimmed that way you are ready to add the controller in the future. And it is a small world. I went to High School at Martingrove not far from you

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
personaly I think 60 degree optics would be more about T5 lighting levels, to get MH levels I think you need to use 40 degree optics on anything over 18" deep.

Steve
Depends what set ups you are talking about. It's all comparing apples to oranges but evilc66's testing at nano-reef seems to show performance equal to MH set ups. I don't think he has made many PAR measurements of T5 systems for comparison.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:26 PM

Stephanie1974 is on a distinguished road

Will you have to change the lighting as often as the MH and other forms of lights?? LED's great idea!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:56 PM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

I could be way off here as I do not know much about patents and how far they go but seeing businesses like nano tuners got me thinking.

Couldn't someone come out with an array of led on a heat-sink that "coincidentally" fit inside of a lighting hood that is also supplied by that same supplier, and again "coincidentally" has a compatible driver? The parts could be sold as a sort of a retrofit idea. all portions being offered separately?
Old 02-23-2010, 08:04 PM

Stephanie1974 is on a distinguished road

I read the posts and ANswered my own question. !5 years! WOW! That alone would put these other lighting companies searching for other means to make money...to make even better lighting than the LED's.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:08 PM

PACMAN416 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie1974 View Post
Will you have to change the lighting as often as the MH and other forms of lights?? LED's great idea!
Hi Stephanie, LEDS last for a looooong time!! i think its something like 10-11 years. so you will not have to change the bulbs! that is why LEDS are a key advancement in aquarium lighting. they may cost more now, but in the long run (i think its something like a 4-6 year breakeven) it will pay off!
Old 02-23-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post
Doesn't hurt to build it with the future expandability. Most reef controllers can output 0-10v signals for dimming so if you get drivers that are capable of being dimmed that way you are ready to add the controller in the future. And it is a small world. I went to High School at Martingrove not far from you
yes i will definitely be using dimmable drivers (meanwells). So your using 3xheatsinks. I like the idea of breakign the heatsinks up, but how will you wire that? i assume you would run the clear whites separately from the royal blue LEDs using different drivers. but will you have, lets say, leds being connected from heatsink to heatsink on the same driver?

Yes i know Martingrove Collegiate H.S. I went to Michael Power though
Old 02-23-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezetyle View Post
I could be way off here as I do not know much about patents and how far they go but seeing businesses like nano tuners got me thinking.

Couldn't someone come out with an array of led on a heat-sink that "coincidentally" fit inside of a lighting hood that is also supplied by that same supplier, and again "coincidentally" has a compatible driver? The parts could be sold as a sort of a retrofit idea. all portions being offered separately?

im not sure how patent laws work. but if you sell all the parts in a package, i guess it would be okay, just as long as they are not assembled.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:44 PM

Crytone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACMAN416 View Post
im not sure how patent laws work. but if you sell all the parts in a package, i guess it would be okay, just as long as they are not assembled.
This is actually incorrect. Still illegal if sold as a DIY 'package' or kit. It's even against patent laws to assemble your own with your own parts but it's rather unlikely you'd ever get sued for this (the cost of suing you >>> money they'd get from you).
Old 02-23-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crytone View Post
This is actually incorrect. Still illegal if sold as a DIY 'package' or kit. It's even against patent laws to assemble your own with your own parts but it's rather unlikely you'd ever get sued for this (the cost of suing you >>> money they'd get from you).

My bad, thanks for clearing it up. But how does nano-customs get away with what they do then?